anyone good with electrical 12v wiring? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
anyone good with electrical 12v wiring?

I bought the atomic LED cab lights that strobe, well they come with a 5 channel flasher relay and what i was wanting to do is to tap into my mirror running lights and get them to strobe off channel 2 and channel 4 for left and right mirror lights. well I googled my question but couldnt exactly find the answer i was looking for.

option 1: run a wire from channel two to the mirror turn signal wire on my led recon mirror lights and that way when i have the running lights on turn signal will be the one strobing. if i tap into that wire, will there be an ill effect with that 12v positive running back the wiring from the mirror where ever the turn signal power comes from?

or is option 2: not mess with turn signal and run the power for the running light through the relay on the flasher module like the cab lights are and run the wire from the channel to the mirror running light on each side.

do i need a resistor or something like that so the power doesnt come back through the original wiring? sorry if im not making this clear, im finding it hard to explain so maybe thats why im not finding my exact answer. we got 10" of snow coming monday so i was hoping to tackle this job this weekend so i could test it out monday thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 02:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't understand what it is you are trying to do with the lights, are you using them as... cab marker/strobe
or mirror marker strobes...
or do you want them to strobe left and right side cab markers somehow with turn signal
something else?
Diodes are what you are thinking of not resistors to keep from back feeding power
Its Monday morning and I am sure you will be busy, so whenever you get time.
on a side note I would love to know how your truck plows as I am building one now

Last edited by Faraim; 03-03-2014 at 02:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

So I know the Atomic LEDs and the Whelen flasher that it comes with it, but are your mirror LEDs 2 separate lights?

One set for running lights and the other for signals or does it use the same set for both?

You could always diode isolate the mirror wires to prevent voltage backfeed...
Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faraim View Post
I don't understand what it is you are trying to do with the lights, are you using them as... cab marker/strobe
or mirror marker strobes...
or do you want them to strobe left and right side cab markers somehow with turn signal
something else?
Diodes are what you are thinking of not resistors to keep from back feeding power
Its Monday morning and I am sure you will be busy, so whenever you get time.
on a side note I would love to know how your truck plows as I am building one now
my truck plows amazing. the short wheel base makes it nice for tight spots, all of our contracts seem to have the worst designed parking lots you will ever see hahaha. loving these BFG a/t in the snow and ice. i actually have not had one close call with sliding or anything like that. much better than the firestone transforce that i was running on my factory 18's.

the mirror light has two seperate bulbs. lower one is running light and is on with cab lights. top bulb is turn signal only. i was wanting to strobe these off my flasher relay from my atomic led cab lights. the video below is what im trying to do. its called the grecco mod and wicked warnings sells a kit but i thought since i already have the flasher relay that i could wiring the running lights in the mirrors easy because its the same as the cab lights. my only issue is im not sure what atomic uses in their lights to eliminate that backfeed.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuzz78 View Post
So I know the Atomic LEDs and the Whelen flasher that it comes with it, but are your mirror LEDs 2 separate lights?

One set for running lights and the other for signals or does it use the same set for both?

You could always diode isolate the mirror wires to prevent voltage backfeed...

just like your mirrors. one set of lights is for running lights and one set is for turn signals
Old 03-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Ok, so if you want it exactly like the video, then buy the module.

Otherwise, wire it up this way and you can have the turn signals do a wig wag style pattern... Left side then right side...

First, find the turn signal wire. I recommend getting it from the wire harness in the kick panels, this way you are not fishing wires into the doors.

When you locate the proper wire, cut it.

You'll need 2 diodes per side.

The easiest way to do this is to get 3 butt connectors and configure them in the fashion below.

Now I left the diodes long to give you an example of how they should go. Make sure that you cut them so that none of it is exposed; there will be 12v going through this...

Think of Diodes as little "one way" signs for current... You see the silver ring around the one end of the diode? Whichever side the ring is on is where the current will get stopped.

So this configuration will stop the current from going back to the vehicle when the Whelen Flasher is activated AND it will prevent 12v from going back to the Whelen Flasher when you use your turn signal.

Good Luck!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, so if you want it exactly like the video, then buy the module.

Otherwise, wire it up this way and you can have the turn signals do a wig wag style pattern... Left side then right side...

First, find the turn signal wire. I recommend getting it from the wire harness in the kick panels, this way you are not fishing wires into the doors.

When you locate the proper wire, cut it.

You'll need 2 diodes per side.

The easiest way to do this is to get 3 butt connectors and configure them in the fashion below.

Now I left the diodes long to give you an example of how they should go. Make sure that you cut them so that none of it is exposed; there will be 12v going through this...

Think of Diodes as little "one way" signs for current... You see the silver ring around the one end of the diode? Whichever side the ring is on is where the current will get stopped.

So this configuration will stop the current from going back to the vehicle when the Whelen Flasher is activated AND it will prevent 12v from going back to the Whelen Flasher when you use your turn signal.

Good Luck!
You sir, are the MAN! one last question, those diodes. is there a certain ones i need to buy? i have a radioshack close by that sells components like that and i can think of a few other places.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
You sir, are the MAN! one last question, those diodes. is there a certain ones i need to buy? i have a radioshack close by that sells components like that and i can think of a few other places.
Ya, RadioShack will have them.

They are simple, everyday diodes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-04-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Ya, RadioShack will have them.

They are simple, everyday diodes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I was looking on their website and it looks like the have 1 amp, 3 amp, 6 amp diodes, which should i get. thanks again
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
I was looking on their website and it looks like the have 1 amp, 3 amp, 6 amp diodes, which should i get. thanks again
1 amps are fine, they are the small ones.

They get bigger in size the larger the amp rating.

I've never had to use anything larger than the 1 amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.