P0266? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P0266?

Hopped in the truck and fired it up after work tonight. I was sitting in it and letting it idle and felt a slight shake, no more than a few seconds. It was only a slight shake, no rpm dive, no sputter or anything. So I pulled the codes and it popped a P0266, cylinder 2 distribution code. What am I looking at as far as issues go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

You didn't state your mods, mileage, or if you have any warranty. In any case, start with the basics and change the fuel filters. I HATE this code because there are so many possibilities...the most scary one is a rings, cylinder, cracked piston or sticky injector all of which be very $$$$$...of course, it could be completely benign. Do you have access to IDS to check if the contribution of #2 is consistently at least a little off? If not, I would probably try to do a compression and at least scope the piston (if you have access to that equipment).
Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 PM

Truck has 112k miles, stock. I do have a warranty on the truck. I don't have access to IDS to check it. The fuel filters only have 3500 miles on them but it couldn't hurt to change them.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:27 AM

As Brett stated its worth looking into. There are many possibilities some of which can cost $$$. I would change fuel filters first and maybe run some additive. Maybe you got some bad diesel?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
As Brett stated its worth looking into. There are many possibilities some of which can cost $$$. I would change fuel filters first and maybe run some additive. Maybe you got some bad diesel?
My last 2 batches of fuel weren't great. Poor mileage and more regens. This batch, I got from a gas station that I know carries good fuel. So it is possible that the filters are gunked up. I run Power Service in every tank (except I forgot this tank...)
Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM

Made an appointment at the dealer to get the truck looked at. I have a warranty, and I bought the truck 3500 miles ago. So if something is wrong, it will get taken care of one way or another.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM

Good idea
Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe505 View Post
Made an appointment at the dealer to get the truck looked at. I have a warranty, and I bought the truck 3500 miles ago. So if something is wrong, it will get taken care of one way or another.
Definitely good to hear ya have a warranty. Has it thrown that code more than once? How are you checking the codes? I assume you are stock?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
Definitely good to hear ya have a warranty. Has it thrown that code more than once? How are you checking the codes? I assume you are stock?
It threw it once about a month ago, and I'm pretty sure that was more cold weather related than anything. I'm pulling the codes via the torque app for android. And yes the truck is stock, going to delete the dpf soon though.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe505 View Post
It threw it once about a month ago, and I'm pretty sure that was more cold weather related than anything. I'm pulling the codes via the torque app for android. And yes the truck is stock, going to delete the dpf soon though.
Disclaimer: I am paranoid about the pistons on the 6.4, especially on modded trucks.
I am betting Ford won't be able to give you the answer on what happened with your truck. They will probably not find anything and blame it on fuel or filters or something like that. If they don't find something definite and they don't manually check compression and scope the cylinder and pistons, I would wait a while before doing mods that will kill the warranty. Many pistons that crack and die give when the person wasn't beating the h#ll out of it which suggests to me that cracks may be there a while before the cause a catostrophic failure. Again, I am know this is being cautious, but there are too many cracked pistons out there for me to be comfortable after throwing that code to lose a warranty over until I was absolutely sure a piston wasn't cracked (or an injector was starting to leak).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.