Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Code P0232

33K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  vanderwerff78 
#1 ·
Wife was driving my truck and it died. The wrench symbol appeared on the dash. It started back up for her to drive 10 miles home. When I get home from work it starts for 3 sec and then dies. I have the banks IQ, when I read for codes it came back with P0232. I cleared the code, tried to start, no go. Cleared codes again and cycled ignition. It started this time ran for 10 minutes and died. Tried to restart and it died after 3 seconds. Has anyone ever experienced this before and know what to do?

#2 ·
I had the same problem. My truck died and would not restart for a while. Then after a little time sitting it worked fine then would die again p0232 is a secondary fuel pump circuit. My recommendation is turn the ignition to the on position and climb under the driver side of the cab locating the fuel pump mounted in the frame (where the fuel filter is) listen to it and see if it sounds weird or feels weird. If so then replace the entire assembly ($500 for the part). That is what was wrong with mine. If p0232 is the only code your getting I would bet you have the same problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Not to hard. Your Gona get a major diesel bath though. The lines are quick disconnect so no tools required. I made sure everything was disconnected prior to taking off the fuel lines (ie electrical connections and mounting
Hardware). I had the new unit right near to me then went as fast as I could.
Once you install the new unit cycle the key 6 times for 30 seconds and you should be good. I would high recommend going ahead and replacing the top side fuel filter as long as your at jt. The new unit comes with a new lower side fuel filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
If you are doing this swap on the floor/not on a hoist or pit:

Pull the feed and return lines (tank side) off the pump and feed them a little compressed air to force the fuel back into the tank and help alleviate the siphon effect.

Pull the front driveshaft if you have a 4x4. I think you can sneak the pump out with the driveshaft in, but I can't remember, and it's likely a pain in the ***.

When you turn the key on for the first time, have a buddy with a shop rag and a blow gun gently put a little air pressure down the filler neck into the tank to help the fuel get to the pump. Keep priming the **** out of it, it will take a long time if you empty the lines to get prime again. I typically power up the pump and let it sit for awhile once I get some fuel to it to ensure all the air is out of the system, it saves you having to babysit the key for 30 seconds each time.

#9 ·
My vote is upgrade it now. The factory LP system doesn't do a good job on water filtration so the stock unit is more prone to damaging the HPFP (especially if you ever get bad fuel.

#13 ·
Fuel Lab (Midwest Diesel is the only place I know that sells it for the 6.4 since Fuel Lab hasn't released one yet specific for the 6.4) or A-1000 (Areomotive).

#14 ·
Ditto.....

#15 ·
There are several different airdogs and FASS pumps available. I believe 100 is the lowest, and they go up to 220 I believe? Most opt to go with the Airdog II 165 because of the adjustable regulator. The 100 would probably be fine for the lower HP tuning, but the 165 is a good idea for the bigger tunes. You will push more fuel at the motor, but its only going to use what it needs, when it needs it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.