mpg question 2008 f350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 09:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
mpg question 2008 f350

2008 f350 ccsb 4x4 auto 3.73 what kinda mpg can expect all stock, and what can i do to get better mpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98f150 View Post
2008 f350 ccsb 4x4 auto 3.73 what kinda mpg can expect all stock, and what can i do to get better mpg
Do you have any mods? How do you use it (towing, city driving, etc.)?

The easisest way go get better MPG is to trade in the truck. . There arr things you can do to help mileage but a 6.4 will never get great mileage.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an 08 F-350 supercab shortbed with 3.73 rear. Stock I averaged between 9-12mpg depending on re-gens I also have the 20" rims with the wrangler duratracs so I'm sure with 18" rims and some less aggressive all-terrain tires I could have gotten 1-2mpg better. Currently I have H&S mini-maxx tuner, straight piped, s&b intake, and a bed cover, grill cover for the winter (I heard this helps?). But my winter mpg is about 14-15 mpgcity driving only highway driving is towing a enclosed snowmobile trailer and I average about 14-15 mpg also. Last summer I averaged 16.4mpg hand calculated that was without the aftermarket intake. I'm hoping to average 17+ Mpg city now that I added the intake. I also run fuel conditioner in every tank summer and winter. I'm sure there is more I can do to better my mpg and I'm sure the more knowledgeable guys will chime in but overall I'm happy with my mpg but as always would not complain if it got better!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM

I'm stock and getting about 14.5 avg mpg. Hoping to up that a bit with a DPF delete and intake soon.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjmaxx View Post
I have an 08 F-350 supercab shortbed with 3.73 rear. Stock I averaged between 9-12mpg depending on re-gens I also have the 20" rims with the wrangler duratracs so I'm sure with 18" rims and some less aggressive all-terrain tires I could have gotten 1-2mpg better. Currently I have H&S mini-maxx tuner, straight piped, s&b intake, and a bed cover, grill cover for the winter (I heard this helps?). But my winter mpg is about 14-15 mpgcity driving only highway driving is towing a enclosed snowmobile trailer and I average about 14-15 mpg also. Last summer I averaged 16.4mpg hand calculated that was without the aftermarket intake. I'm hoping to average 17+ Mpg city now that I added the intake. I also run fuel conditioner in every tank summer and winter. I'm sure there is more I can do to better my mpg and I'm sure the more knowledgeable guys will chime in but overall I'm happy with my mpg but as always would not complain if it got better!
As you know, winter blend diesel doesn't help mileage so it will help when it warms up. From there, trying to remove weight or air restrictions may do a little along with the right tune, but I am out of ideas beyond that unless maybe doing 15% injectors (the jury is still out on that one and when I get mine in I will be running a new turbo so I won't be able to give apples to apples comparison). I honestly haven't ever worried about mileage either though. See my sig for mods, but my best to date (hand calced) was 19.7 on a trip with my wife to the beach. 1000 mile round trip with 200 miles in the moutains and the rest on the Interstate (at no elevation). That was running version .32 on the MM. It was an un-aggressive program for EBP (so the truck was more laggy and more smokey if you gave it 1/4 throttle or more) with fairly aggressive timing IIRC, but it did do pretty decent on mileage. I am sure if you worked with MCC or did a custom tune, you might get a little more (if you don't mind sacrificing some of the driving characteristics). I am guessing an early lock up on the TC helps....my truck is a stick so I have always seemed do a little better than most. With all the money I have put into reducing restrictions on air, it would never pay off from a mileage perspective (which aint why I did them).
Obviously, the trailers are different, but when I hot shot, I have to keep meticulous logs for my IFTA taxes. I was running canned H&S tunes until October, but I ended up gettting 10.16 MPG in first 3 quarters (that loaded and unloaded so grossing 15k lbs empty to 32,700 lbs) on a tandum dual GN and my last quarter was 10.32 MPG with 15k to 33,200 lbs with Matt's tunes. My weights averaged about 4k lbs more (I moved more heavier equipment) this last quarter, but of course, I never driving the same route so that has to be factored in. Still, it did seem like they did better and that was a tow tune which I specifically asked him to cut back on the timing to save some abuse to the engine so I do think that shows the difference in tuning.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:49 PM

Is your trucks dually? And are you switching to an aftermarket turbo?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Is your trucks dually? And are you switching to an aftermarket turbo?
SRW. I was running a 71 for all of the numbers I gave you (see sig.) and I will be running a 76 when I get my truck back (along with 15% nozzles). I am hoping the larger nozzles (I won't have dual fuelers) will allow better atomization if I can get the tuning right. I won't be able to maintain RP on race tune (PW = 2.2 to 2.3 with that setup at WOT though so I will have to cut the PW up top on the higher RPMs). Most people have reported a slight drop in EGTs when cruising after going to larger nozzles which I think almost has to be from better atomization. Again, this will be too many mods at once for me to confirm that.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:15 PM

Please update us on mpg with your new set up and overall daily drivability. I have been looking into aftermarket turbos.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Please update us on mpg with your new set up and overall daily drivability. I have been looking into aftermarket turbos.
No problem. Just check out my thread in Aftermarket Performance section.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
Do you have any mods? How do you use it (towing, city driving, etc.)?

The easisest way go get better MPG is to trade in the truck. . There arr things you can do to help mileage but a 6.4 will never get great mileage.
what does better, been checking out some cummins 5.9 mega cabs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.