FASS vs air dog - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FASS vs air dog

Better fuel filter/water separator is next on the list to do. Just wondering what are your opinions on the two brands? My local shop is a FASS dealer and obviously recommended them. Was curious about on bias opinions. My truck is just tuned with exhaust and don't plan on doing anything else for huge power etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 PM

Also interested in this! Did they quote a price on the Fass system installed?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM

No just vaguely talked about it while I was in there picking up my winter grille cover. Really like the idea of a screw on fuel filter on the rail and better water filtration.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 AM

A lot of guys have started steerin away from AD and FASS. Seems there have been a lot of failures lately. No they are not all that way. You may buy one and never have a problem with it. FuelLab's pump and the A-1000 have become popular due to extra filtration and durability of the systems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 AM

FASS and AirDog are related... literally.. IIRC, one was the father, one the son, and then the inevitable falling out w/ family due to differences..

they are essentially the same, unless you go with the FASS Platinum mono filter set up..

I run two air dog 150's on my rig.. one is as a standard lift pump, mounted on the frame rail, and the other I use to transfer fuel from a bed mounted axillary tank to the main tank, and as something of a back-up if the primary one fails.... it's not necessary, but it's how my brain works..

at any rate, I wouldn't pay anyone to install- it is pretty straight forward, though a little time consuming to do it right- mostly with routing wiring harness properly, and getting the hoses set good...

here are two tips, fwiw:

you DO NOT HAVE TO DROP THE TANK.. you can lay under the truck situated just behind the axle, and with your head to the passenger side of the fuel tank.. take yer' phone, reach up to above the tank with it, and snap a picture of the top of the basket.... get a look at it... reach back up there and disconnect the quick releases you need to disconnect, and simply lay them to the side.. then run your feed line back there, reassume the position, and snap the feed on the feed straw... you DO NOT need to use the airdog/fass supplied straw, as the factory one is capable enough, and it sits in the lowest place in the tank...

tip two: if YOU DO DROP THE TANK, don't even bother with the basket... get a sump and install it.. pumps are made to push, not pull.. if you allow the pump to be gravity fed instead of having to pull fuel to it, you will have a happier pump for a longer time...... plus, installing a sump ridded my truck of something that had been plaguing it since I owned it: what I always thought was turbo lag isn't, it's a pause in pressure as the valve redirects to the engine instead of back to the tank.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:30 AM

I would also look at either fuel lab or the A-1000 from aeromotive.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:00 AM

I just talked to the shop. He recommended the platinum series fass system. He said air dog has had problems with pumps and the company looks like its in a downward spiral. Just under $800 installed
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I would also look at either fuel lab or the A-1000 from aeromotive.
He also suggested fuel lab and aeromotive.. Looks like I have some reading up to do haha
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 AM

Keep us up to date! $800 installed seems fair. I don't have a lot of free time so I'd probably have to go that route. Is it supposed to increase fuel mileage at all?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 AM

Will do. It'll prob be in the spring when I do it do to other household projects/honey do list. The shop told me minimal/slight mpg gains due to better fuel filtering taking more water and impurities out. But don't know for aure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.