Slight shudder turns into bad when towing heavy?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GregsSD
  • 1 Post By jhauling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slight shudder turns into bad when towing heavy??

Ok here's the quick and dirty. I've started noticing horrible fuel mileage this winter and now a shudder right at initial acceleration. It was very slight at first and seemed to happen more when turning so I thought my junk LS was just slipping clutches. Then I started noticing on deceleration I felt it, slight at first, now from 35mph on down to a stop it shudders like I have Swamper Boggers on! Well the shop found some loose bolts on the front part of my two piece drive shaft so they tightened those up but it's still shuddering. That was yesterday. Well today I had to pull a 12k grain vac about 90 miles. From a stop under accelleartion it shuddered like crazy. It was wet and nasty pavement so I thought maybe LS rear end, but then again something just isn't adding up. Oil was just changed and there didn't seem to be any fuel in oil. Once you get going the shuddering goes away. It SEEMS driveline related BUT I'm also concerned about a broke piston perhaps?

I've also had an EBP code a couple times and this morning there was a contribution code on #3 and a turbo boost code. But I cleared the codes and they have not returned. I'm at a loss here. thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Did tightening the drive shaft help? Any chance your TC is the cause?
Mileage will be down in the winter if you are getting winter blend diesel. Did you have truck last winter to confirm this isn't just winter blend? Is it hand calced mileage?
Any chance the EBP sensor is frozen?
Contribution codes are always concerning....a piston or injector can be the problem and neither are good. Can you manually check compression? Do you have access to IDS?
Any white or black smoke? Have you tried the blow by pressure generic test with the oil fill cap?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
Did tightening the drive shaft help? Any chance your TC is the cause?
Mileage will be down in the winter if you are getting winter blend diesel. Did you have truck last winter to confirm this isn't just winter blend? Is it hand calced mileage?
Any chance the EBP sensor is frozen?
Contribution codes are always concerning....a piston or injector can be the problem and neither are good. Can you manually check compression? Do you have access to IDS?
Any white or black smoke? Have you tried the blow by pressure generic test with the oil fill cap?

OK I don't think tightening the driveshaft helped and I'm ruling out engine problems. I'm thinking TC. Symptoms are more pronounced.

When you let out of the throttle and coast there is vibration. As it starts downshifting below 35mph it's considerably worse. Also, you get an odd vibration when cruising and you have to barely barely touch the throttle. Like 3-5% throttle input... it seems to have something to do with the TC...but is there anything else that would cause vibration to change under backpressure load?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's not your LS clutches, because that won't cause vibrations when you are going straight.

Check your driveshaft, could be bad u-joints, worn out carrier bearing, or could be that your carrier bearing needs a spacer to bring your driveline into better alignment.
john galt likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

My best bet is that EBP code and contribution code are a coincidence. Maybe your EBP sensor froze or something like that. It wouldn't hurt to check that sometime, but based on what you are saying, this sounds much more like drivetrain than engine. A while back there was a guy having similar symptoms and it turned out to be the brake switch and vss. He replaced that and problem was solved.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a similar problem but in the end it turned out to be a small rubber boot on the driveshaft that needed grease. You have to buy the needle to grease it otherwise it doesn't come with a grease nipple. Dont hurt to try it.
john galt likes this.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsSD View Post
It's not your LS clutches, because that won't cause vibrations when you are going straight.

Check your driveshaft, could be bad u-joints, worn out carrier bearing, or could be that your carrier bearing needs a spacer to bring your driveline into better alignment.
^^^^^^ this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.