While I'm replacing ball joints, what else should I do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
While I'm replacing ball joints, what else should I do?

I had the truck for an oil change today and they informed me that my lower ball joints are wearing out (along with other annoyances) but hey, she has 125k miles on her.
I've been researching the process and parts necessary to do this myself. It looks like Moog is the go to for ball joints, part #k8607T, qty=2.
I'll borrow the press from the local autozone and fell confident that I can get this done.
In my searching of the forums, I see that other folks are doing other things while they're in there. So what else should I do while I have it apart? I saw someone in another thread mentioned axle seals, unit bearings and maybe U-joints? I'm looking for recommendations of things to do while I'm there and part numbers if you have them.

Last edited by wellsit; 02-05-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Might sit in and watch this one.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 AM

I would do u joints for sure while your there. I also would do axle seals (5C3Z-3254-AA) and the updated dust seals (AC3Z-1S175-A), and the o ring for the hub (5C3Z-4A322-AA). You can do unit bearings (not sure on the part number) but they are kind of expensive if you don't need them. The whole hub assembly is (AC3Z-3B396-A).

Last edited by 04hdfatboy; 02-06-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I would do u joints for sure while your there. I also would do axle seals (5C3Z-3254-AA) and the updated dust seals (AC3Z-1S175-A), and the o ring for the hub (5C3Z-4A322-AA). You can do unit bearings (not sure on the part number) but they are kind of expensive if you don't need them. The whole hub assembly is (AC3Z-3B396-A).
Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping to find out, thank you! I doubt I'll need to replace the whole hub or unit bearing. Does the hub assembly you referenced include the unit bearing?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsit View Post
Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping to find out, thank you! I doubt I'll need to replace the whole hub or unit bearing. Does the hub assembly you referenced include the unit bearing?
No problem! I think it does but I am not sure. I don't want to give you wrong info.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 AM

that part isn't the unit bearing it's the 4x4 selector AKA hub if thats what the question was ?

your best bet is getting a timken (oem) unit bearing from amazon /autozone etc also the mounting studs are nice to have

the hub seal requires a tool FYI

Last edited by ZMANN; 02-06-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 AM

I appreciate it.

In my searching I've found this link: F-350 Maintenance

It seems to have a lot of good information on even though he is working on an 06. That site also lists the same part numbers that 04hdfatboy provided.

Also, this link looks like it has a complete ball joint kit including seals: http://fordsuperdutyparts.com/produc...2005-2010.html. The only other things would be to source the U-joints and unit bearings if they're necessary.

Last edited by wellsit; 02-06-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
that part isn't the unit bearing it's the 4x4 selector AKA hub if thats what the question was ?
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM

that's a pretty good link most are for the 05 under and it is a different size tool etc the snap ring pliers were surprisingly hard to source I now have more types than anyone I know

if u use the 2 inch pipe tool do not screw the floor flange down tightly it will hit the axle stub shaft surface just spin it on a few turns

you are doing all 4 balljoints correct
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Yes, while I have it apart, I may as well do all 4 joints.

Being that I've never done them on a solid front axle rig, this will be a new experience for me. I'm not sure what the home made 2" pipe tool is for but I figure it will become self evident while i'm in there working. So just o be safe, I plan to make the tool and be prepared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.