DPF Delete - Pros and Cons - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF Delete - Pros and Cons

My 2008 F250 6.4 is nearing the end of my warranty period. I am considering doing the DFP Delete. I have did not do it previously due to warranty concerns. I have a company that will do it to include taking of the current exhaust/DPF and installing new pipes without the DPF stuff. That way I could always put the old pipe configuration back on. I am told they are all bolt on to the current frame. They will also reprogram the existing electronics and get me up to an additional 50 HP and around 20MPG I am told for around $1600. They say it will take about half a day for the job. For those of you that have already had the DPF delete done in various fashions what are the Pros and Cons? Also does $1600 sound like a fair price. Do not have a listing of the new parts. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm certainly no expert and have only had my rig a month but here is my experience.

If your primary objective is to get rid of the DPF and CAT in order to increase your MPG and durability, along with a 70 HP bump, your cheapest route is to get the DPF-R 4.0+ and DPF pipe. I got mine from Performance Truck Products for around $700.

If you can wrench a little it's not too bad of a job to take out the DPF and CAT yourself. The tuner module is super easy and is plug and play. The module also turns off the EGR (which is a good thing).

If you want to get wild and have lots of HP you'd need to get a "pre-ban" tuner with a variety of tunes. These will run you lots more $$$. If you want to PM me we can discuss details and I'll share with you what I've learned. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Don't you worry about it

There are no cons but do not buy into the 20MPG bull crap
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM

pros:
better mpgs
little to no fuel dilution
less equipment failure
lighter truck

cons:
more black smoke from exhaust but some might see it as a good thing. personally i wish my engine didnt produce any smoke at all but cleans up pretty good later in the rpms and gears.
people hating you for rolling coal.
accidentally rolling coal so thick at all the cars at a traffic light that they cant move and having one of the cars follow you to your destination to give you a dirty look.
not passing local emissions tests.
citations from law enforcement.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Don't you worry about it

dam, you may should dial back your LBF
Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

No cons other than black smoke when you're on it and a dirtied rear quarter panel.

I'd do some research on here though on what tuner you want to use.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:14 PM

haha my lbf has been on zero forever. i dunno what happened that particular instance.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

IF i were you. id do some serious reading up on this topic before you pay someone to do something like that. Do a tuner that will allow you to delete the dpf and just buy a straight pipe and put it on in your driveway...simple hand tools wratchets and wrenches and a bottle of spray lube.....and a buddy for a hand dropping the 50lb DPF down.

4" flopro exhaust system..BOLT ON is around 400 to 450. Plus whatever tuner unit you find that supports the DPF delete.

Also DPF-R is a route you can go. you can do it and stock or that and an option to add 70hp i think......Dont know much about this route, but its around 500 bucks for the setup the last time i looked. Just make sure you search a bit because this is a pretty simple project for anyone that can spell wrench
GSchretter likes this.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 AM
Premium Member

i installed a DPF-R 4.0+ on my dads truck about 6 weeks ago. he was looking for the same thing you are... but it only cost $700 from PTP.. I did a small write up and review of it in this thread:

Gearbox Z DPF-R 4.0 Plus Review

keep on reading to figure out what it is you really want, but i would not let some shop just flash my truck, and not be able to "return to stock" without having to go back to ford for the stock flash.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tons of pros as shown above. I don't know what Capt is doing, but I don't hardly smoke AT ALL. Only of I literally floor it. And then it cleans up quick. You have to drive like you are driving a turbo vehicle, roll into the skinny pedal. Can't just mash it all the time.

But as far as having a shop tune it I would shy away. Use a known tuner that deals with just this (ie Spartan, H&S, innovative, gearhead).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Rocweiller likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.