Idling too high in gear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lancinfish
Idling too high in gear

Not sure why, but when I got in my truck this morning and cranked it up, it is idling around 800 RPMs. This is both in drive, reverse, neutral and park. Not sure what is causing this, but its really quite a pain in the a$$. Anyone have any idea what could cause this? I am not getting any codes, and otherwise the truck is running perfect. I need to get this fixed quick because its a pita for around town driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Guessing you are running a tune..
Can you go back to stock and then unhook both neg battery cables and reinstall cables and drive around?

Pull cables to reset most standard settings (learning)

What tune +hp are you running?

EGR still instAlled?
Maintenance? Fuel filters?

Check air intake between filter to turbo.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Check what he said above

Your SCT might not read all the codes. I'm willing to bet one of the three exhaust sensors has gone bad. Get a better code reader and I one of them are bad. $60 at your local stealership
Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

I pulled the codes with my Edge Insight, not my SCT. I can go back to stock, but how long can a I drive around before the "Mandatory Regen" kicks in. I don't want to cause myself a problem.

My buddy runs a shop, but is slammed until Friday and just doesn't have time to plug it in until Friday. Is there any way to check it without the computer?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancinfish View Post
I pulled the codes with my Edge Insight, not my SCT. I can go back to stock, but how long can a I drive around before the "Mandatory Regen" kicks in. I don't want to cause myself a problem.

My buddy runs a shop, but is slammed until Friday and just doesn't have time to plug it in until Friday. Is there any way to check it without the computer?
Max distance is around 500 miles until a regen, if you have your EGR disabled/removed you will make it that far but with EGR functioning about 200 miles max.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

I will try returning it to stock and see what happens after I unhook the cables.

Oil is due for changing, but is only 5000 miles on it. Fuel filter was changed with oil, as well as the air filter is clean. I am running the tow tune on the SCT. not sure what HP it is, but its not much. I do still have my EGR in place. Drove it again today and everything looks good. I can't find anything obvious wrong except that the RPM's are too high.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was having the same problem with mine when I first deleted my DPF. Did you check to make sure that all of your sensors were seated properly? My post DPF wasn't seated right and it caused the same problem to happen. Even if you have a delete pipe w/ no bungs, the sensors still need to be plugged in to prevent what we both went through. These truck are too smart these days.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

The dpf has been gone for quite a while. Sine this just started, I am hearing this must be a bad exhaust sensor.

Should the truck have a trouble code for a bad sensor? Neither my edge or SCT are showing any codes. I really don't want to pay for computer diagnostics if I don't have to.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

After plugging the truck in Friday with the Ford Computer at my buddies shop, we found nothing. The computer shows that everything is working properly and I still have a high idle sitting around 800 RPM's. We have tried it all, from putting the tuning back to stock, forcing the computer to do all the diagnostics, etc... Everything looks fine.

So the thoughts are that the Pedal Assembly is got a problem. There was a report of this being a fix on their computer system. What do yall think? The pedal assembly is not cheap.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Like p8ntballn2 said, it is most likely one of the exhaust sensors are bad. My best guess would be the rear most sensor, usually the one that gives guys the most problems when taking it out of the dpf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.