Trading in deleted truck - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trading in deleted truck

First, I'm not looking to get rid of my truck

I've been slowing doing my deletes and it crossed my mind that theirs no way in **** I would put those egr coolers back in place. The dpf wouldn't be so bad, but the egr coolers....nope

So can dealers take a deleted truck (out of warranty) in on trade? Or would you have to sell it on craigslist/ebay/autotrader? I would imagine these mom and pop private dealers would probably take it, my question is mainly concerning a ford/chevy/GM dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

I think it might vary as to which state you are trading it in at. In MN we don't do emissions testing anymore so there haven't been issues doing that here. I have personally traded in 6.0's with egr deletes and just recently have seen them sitting for sale on smaller auto lots deleted. Even a local dealer was doing egr deletes in house on 6.0s.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:34 AM

I'm mainly talking about trucks with dpf systems, that seems to be the real kicker down here regarding emissions. The testing centers don't pop the hood, but they do run a mirror wheel thing looking under the truck.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought my truck at a Ford dealer and it was deleted. The particular dealership is known for their diesel trucks as it is located in a farming community. Not sure this helps but I wanted to pass it along anyways.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Yeah i don't think it would be too big of a deal up here either. Again i think its just a state by state basis.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 AM

It is a dealer's decision on whether to take it in or not. I know even though I am in Alabama, my local dealer told me it was a huge fine if he got caught selling any vehicle without a catalytic convertor
Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Hunter of Trolls

it's illegal to sell a vehicle that won't pass inspection for federally mandated items, i.e. emissions equipment... in most states it's illegal to sell a vehicle (dealer) that doesn't have an inspection within 30 days of the sale (this happens all the time, though, and has even happened to me- but when I realized it, I drove back to the dealer and got my inspection for free)...

trading in a deleted truck on trade puts the dealer in a position that he can either figure on getting by with it, or, that he has to bring back to meeting federal requirements... if nothing else, it gives the dealer a little bit of latitude in negotiating the trade he wouldn't have otherwise...

'selling' a deleted truck is kinda stupid on their part, but I know it happens all the time.. it's stupid because the customer (never mind the summit racing, the foxairracing, the snap on tools, or the [insert favorite diesel performance shop] stickers) can legitimately claim ignorance and truthfully report "this is how I purchased it"... which puts the blame back on the dealer, and whoever inspected the vehicle last (which would likely be the dealer at a syndicate dealership)..

it's tricky durn business, and a dang shame.. in order to maximize your trade you gotta keep as much effort off the dealerships technicians and parts department as possible, and present a vehicle as close to 'sell ready' as you can- which means emissions items in place.. the dealer will use it against you if they have any sense.. at the same time, the dealer knows that a prospective customer will want to mod as soon as it is sold (especially if the 100k warranty is out)... and, the dealer knows that your deleted truck (and the fact it's likely in better condition deleted) is more desirable by a future buyer- so even if they revert the rig, there is no way they won't mention it's past in effort to sell it..

keep your coolers... keep your cat/dpf.. keep your tuner... they are all negotiating tools.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 AM

I plan to put all my junk in the barn, I wouldn't mind putting the dpf back on but the egr coolers isn't going to happen. Worst case is just sell it yourself I guess.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Country car dealerships in Texas LOVE deletes but most can't take the chance.

Talk the dealer and if they have something you want they will work it.

Remember this::
Lotting a car - selling a car off the lot is the long term greatest return but it takes time.

But
Whole selling are car is less profit upfront but a quick turn around

Auction
Lowest return but the quickest for cash.

A dealer also has other methods of selling any vehicle, but you have to make it worth it for him.

emission warning, please show me a honest car dealer and I will show you right back a car dealer who's bankrupt.

Lol...
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hain View Post
First, I'm not looking to get rid of my truck
Yes you are

The other day you start a thread saying your scared of owning the truck and are thinking about selling. Now you start a thread asking about trading in your deleted truck.

Come on dude we aren't stupid
turbo kidd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.