Bought my first diesel 09 f250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bought my first diesel 09 f250

Got it with 93,000 miles on it bone stock. Been reading on here and I'm learning but still would like to clear a few things up. So my plan is to delete the DFP, EGR, upgrade the intercooler pipe, and put a CAI on it. To do this I need to order a Spartan? Or can I just delete this stuff. I just want the truck to run good and live a long life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do a search, plenty of info on the subject. Spartan, H&S, or SCT (offroad versions) will tune the truck and turn off the egr/dpf. You have to use a tuner to turn these off, if you just remove them truck won't run.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hain View Post
Do a search, plenty of info on the subject. Spartan, H&S, or SCT (offroad versions) will tune the truck and turn off the egr/dpf. You have to use a tuner to turn these off, if you just remove them truck won't run.
I read up on the sticky on here, and I understand some of it. It's just the tuner I'm not following. So When I do the dpf/egr, CAI and the intercooler pipe. I just hook up the Spartan and it takes care of everything. I don't need to take it to a dyno and have it tuned there? Also other than these mods is there anything else I should do before the tune? I'm not gonna go crazy and mod this truck out it is my DD and I sink most of my time and efforts into my 03 cobra. I just want to do a few things to make it a better truck.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos2250 View Post
I read up on the sticky on here, and I understand some of it. It's just the tuner I'm not following. So When I do the dpf/egr, CAI and the intercooler pipe. I just hook up the Spartan and it takes care of everything. I don't need to take it to a dyno and have it tuned there? Also other than these mods is there anything else I should do before the tune? I'm not gonna go crazy and mod this truck out it is my DD and I sink most of my time and efforts into my 03 cobra. I just want to do a few things to make it a better truck.
Hey buddy, yeah, you just gotta hook up the tuner and upload the tune to the ECM. It's not quite the same animal as your Termi... Tuners have put a lot of time and effort into making sure the tunes for these trucks work, it's not quite as much of a unique experience as when you get your Termi tuned. Post pics of the Cobra!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe505 View Post
Hey buddy, yeah, you just gotta hook up the tuner and upload the tune to the ECM. It's not quite the same animal as your Termi... Tuners have put a lot of time and effort into making sure the tunes for these trucks work, it's not quite as much of a unique experience as when you get your Termi tuned. Post pics of the Cobra!
Car is a blast to drive makes 591rwhp 552rwtq runs low 10s Now it will look great being towed behind the black f250. Date stamp is wrong this was only about a year ago

pops250 likes this.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Pretty car man! You do the deletes the same time with the tuner, it will make a huge difference in performance, reliability if driven with some sense, and improve fuel mileage. Your truck has pretty low mileage so if it's been taken care of you should be ok.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslyb View Post
Pretty car man! You do the deletes the same time with the tuner, it will make a huge difference in performance, reliability if driven with some sense, and improve fuel mileage. Your truck has pretty low mileage so if it's been taken care of you should be ok.
Ok so I hook the Spartan tuner up then do all of these deletes. Probably do most of it the same day. Then it's all tuned in the Spartan and it makes all the adjustments itself? How much money are we talking for these mods? I'm gonna also do some research on the banks systems.

Last edited by kratos2250; 02-03-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Car is a blast to drive makes 591rwhp 552rwtq runs low 10s Now it will look great being towed behind the black f250. Date stamp is wrong this was only about a year ago

Nice. That will look good behind your F250.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Got it with 93,000 miles on it bone stock. Been reading on here and I'm learning but still would like to clear a few things up. So my plan is to delete the DFP, EGR, upgrade the intercooler pipe, and put a CAI on it. To do this I need to order a Spartan? Or can I just delete this stuff. I just want the truck to run good and live a long life.
You can do the CAI any time. Other than that, you have to run tunes for a deleted vehicle so you will need your tuner for that. I assume you are referring to the cold side pipe for the intercooler. Are you planning on doing the intake elbow also? Like others already said, the tuners you can use are Spartan, H&S (race version), or SCT (off road version).
Old 02-03-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I'd say skip the CAI. I put an aFe Stage 2 in my 03 6.0 and saw a decrease in flow/power. Stick with the stock intake, save $400 and do the Zoodad mod if you want better flow. Not sure if the intake is that much different on the 6.4, but just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.