RCD manifold/up-pipe and oil pan. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RCD manifold/up-pipe and oil pan.

Wanted to post my results from a few upgrade this weekend.

1. RCD Oil Pan -
Okay it did make a difference with EOT (Oil) temp and dropped about 5 degree the whole time. At idle temp dropped about 10 degrees from where it normally sits at and for me $600 for that is a good investment. Nice thick pan and but 1/2 the weight as the steel pan. Now the temp difference were on a 43 degree day.
http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index...mart&Itemid=54

2. Up-pipe / Manifold-
You can hear the GRRR..
Temps did drop from 550 to 483 on straight road at 65.
The manifolds are tighter to the head and leave lots of room to cover them with some type of exhaust wrap.

Up-pipe has a great solution for you guys out there up north with a frozen EBP sensor. I will post pics soon..

Manifold:

Up-pipe:

You think the cold side intercooler pipe is restrictive? Boy that's nothing compared the OEM manifold to RCD 6.4 manifold. WOW!

Up-Pipes are a perfect fit and perform fantasic.

Together they have made lots more HP the whole RPM range. Low end is just sick.

I looked at other manifolds and I didn't like them as compared the 6.4 because of the tight fit against the head but has no restriction of any type.

As with all manifolds they work better in different RPM ranges and I think RCD 6.4 are best for low/mid and RCD 6.0 is more for mid/high end when comparing the two.

Maybe someone from RCD could chime in.

I wish companies that made/sold aftermarket products would actually have some type of data about their products.

I will post pics but I had everything wrapped with 1/2 HeatShield so there's really not much to look at.
Industrial Exhaust Heat Shield | Heatshield Products
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How much did you spend in total? Did you install everything yourself? If so how hard was it and how much time did it take?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjmaxx View Post
How much did you spend in total? Did you install everything yourself? If so how hard was it and how much time did it take?
$2,600 for the products but had dealership do the work as they were replacing my bed pan and installing Sinister EGR delete kit.

Bed pan was under warranty so Manifold/Up-Pipe/Oil Pan and EGR delete kit installed was $825 but I had a ton of wires from my Snow Performance and air horns and compressor all wired in the cab so they had to charge for that. I think $200 was for wires so probably $625 which is a steal for me.

Took him about 1/2 day for the aftermarket stuff and he said it was very easy.

Also he wrapped Headers/Up-pipe and down pipe also.

I had all the usually crap but when I added the RCD stuff OMG my truck came alive. It sounds great and mean... It idles like it's PISSED OFF sounding.

Can't tell gas miles yet as I can't keep my foot off the pedal.

Only running +80 tune, I don't think I want to know what a +225 tune will do.

Geez I wish they would let me post a link to my album on FB on this forum. That's so stupid.

Last edited by GSchretter; 02-02-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Great write up and all stuff that I want to do in the early spring since Ohio is currently white with snow and ice.

Question though?

Several folks go with the 6.0 manifolds for this modification over the 6.4 manifolds. What was your deciding factor to stick with the 6.4 manifolds over the 6.0 manifolds either from RCD with the accompanying up pipes?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

RCD also has a bad a$$ set of 6.0 manifolds that they make. You can check those out also. I personally would stick with the 6.0 manifolds just because the 90* bend is in the cast manifold instead of the up pipe.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
RCD also has a bad a$$ set of 6.0 manifolds that they make. You can check those out also. I personally would stick with the 6.0 manifolds just because the 90* bend is in the cast manifold instead of the up pipe.
^^^WHS especially since you already deleted your EGR.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpDyDaVe View Post
Great write up and all stuff that I want to do in the early spring since Ohio is currently white with snow and ice.

Question though?

Several folks go with the 6.0 manifolds for this modification over the 6.4 manifolds. What was your deciding factor to stick with the 6.4 manifolds over the 6.0 manifolds either from RCD with the accompanying up pipes?

The 90 bend for OEM is in the manifold for the 6.0 and that keeps the blow out problem away BUT all RCD manifolds and up-pipes are welded not casted and they are twice as thick as OEM trash. So either one solves the problem. PERIOD!!!!

Most pick 6.0 as it has been proven and people don't like change or challenge things.
I still say the whole K&N and BD Brake vane that people say are bad are full of crap. I have both with no problems.

So it doesn't matter which one you pick from RCD for the blow out problem but here is where they are different.

1. RCD 6.0 manifold takes up a lot more room in an already tight place as they get really close to the A/C lines. You could probably move the lines over but I didn't want to take the chance.

I tell people their choice, but one day it might happen or not but if they don't mind their A/C lines burning up more power to them.
I prefer to keep my A/C in Texas as it gets hot and I don't want to take the chance.

2. RCD 6.4 manifold are tight up against the head and no problem rubbing or hitting anything. I know I put 1/2" Heatshield product around the manifolds and up-pipes and still nothing touches.

FLOW, I say as in headers design you pick the RPM range you want to make power and in a way you have two choices here:

3. RCD 6.0 do flow better IN THE (HIGH/MID) range

4. RCD 6.4 flow better IN THE (LOWER/MID), I'm not a racer so 6.4 are for me.
Also listen to a buddy's truck who has RCD 6.0 they seem a little bit louder.

Review my order of ranges as the first one is where the HP gain is more noticeable.

5. Up-pipes besides where the 90 is at there are no other different. I might be wrong but I'm not Mr. MicroScope.

Looking between the two I say the 6.4 RCD manifold will last longer as they have less small welds (look between exit pipe to exhaust port) each port has its own weld aka more welds and the 6.4 is one solid piece of SS welded.
To me 6.4 manifold have less chance of warping as they are one solid piece. I'm probably wrong but hey this are just my thoughts.

Don't get me wrong they are both great products and if I had to do it again I would have a hard time but I was in a rush as the dealer had my cab off and was replacing the bed pan under warranty and said they would have no problem adding a few after market part. ** PS Warranty Nazi my warranty is still good for bumper to bumper 100K/7 year if your dealer doesn't do that maybe you should work on your people skills **

Also look at the price, there's a reason 6.4 are higher and other non-RCD are SO CHEAP!.

RCD has the best manifold/up-pipe combo I've seen so far.

If there's better I hope someone chimes in I would like to look at them and maybe one day switch out. I'm open.

No I'm not a racer but I'm building my truck to last not be +800HP demon beast and then I get all pissed off that my head or pistons crack. My goal is million miles but it might take 35 years. LOL..

I looking for a few HP with a tune and let the engine breath better. I see it as (what I did to my truck) why put an aFe downpipe, aFe 5" exhaust and remove DPF but have OEM manifold and up-pipe restriction? Either do it right or go home. Intake manifold / Turbos and APR studs with new pistons all from RCD are next.

I do not like PPE or whatever as they only seem a little bit better than OEM , casted with SS inserts or whatever. I stopped reading about them as I got sick to the stomach. A pig with lip stick is still a pig. PPE might be good for someone on a budget, no problem there but I want the best and face it SS is pretty. LOL..

Hope that answered your question. Thanks for asking!!!!..

I tell ya when I romp on it, it sounds like the gates of hell are screaming out of the engine. Everybody at the dealership wants to drive it but only the Mech who worked on it gets to do that.

Dude is amazing as his family are all Ford diesel truck guys from 7.3 to 6.7. Says a lot.

My hat off to you Buck!

Last edited by GSchretter; 02-06-2014 at 05:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GSchretter For This Useful Post:
SpDyDaVe (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B585Ford View Post
^^^WHS especially since you already deleted your EGR.
You actually have a good point, with both you have to remove the EGR so...
Geez that crap was heavy.. WTH were they thinking.. Mr. Ford Emissions Guy = JOKE
Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Very good write up, When I do decide/have to pull my cab I'll be looking into these upgrades too. It takes time to build up to these type of mods, so it's good to be able to read up on some real world opinions before you decide to do it.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

This is some great advice it should totally be on RCD's website for each part you've installed. I've added the information to my library for this vehicle. Thanks again GSchretter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.