Truck wanders in straight line driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck wanders in straight line driving

if the road is level and flat, truck goes straight without any input. Little changes in road are not noticed.

If they road has turns or is uneven, it wanders. Turn the wheel just a touch, it moves the direction but if a turn comes up, it takes a lot of input of the wheel to correct and make the truck follow the path you want. Once you get that movement, it's solid and you can follow the turn correctly. You can imagine what it feels like at highway speeds with slight bends/turns in the road.

I just had a 4.5" RC lift put on, they found nothing odd with the usual items. Brand new wheels tires. Truck still behaves the same. It's at the shop right now getting an alignment. Not real sure that's going to do anything but it's a necessary step after a lift, IMO.

anything I'm missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 AM

My truck is doing similar things. I have been told by my shop that the power steering box (there could be another term for it) is going bad. There is a way to tighten the gears in the box up, but not recommended by Ford. Hopefully mine will be replaced today.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 AM

do you have any mechanical feeling of looseness? Like when you move the steering wheel ,left to right just off center, you feel a loose spot in the middle?

I've read about this steering box issue and it has my attention, I'm just not sure how to diagnosis it.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore View Post
do you have any mechanical feeling of looseness? Like when you move the steering wheel ,left to right just off center, you feel a loose spot in the middle?

I've read about this steering box issue and it has my attention, I'm just not sure how to diagnosis it.
Personally, I would say so. The feeling of looseness has gotten worse over the past month. I have more "play" in the steering wheel for sure.

I spend more time correcting the straight line then i should. I can more the steering wheel back and forth a 1/4 inch and never change direction.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 AM

This is what confuses me about it. I've had vehicles with tie-rods that where loose and you could feel the mechanical slop in it. I don't feel it in this one.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM

Make sure they check your caster when getting the alignment
Old 11-19-2013, 10:04 AM

well, this is fun. Their alignment machine went down while mine was being done. They can't finish the job. I left it overnight to see if they could get the machine up but looks like they have to have it repaired.

nice.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I just had a 4.5"
Any shop that will put a lift on and doesn't do an alignment, doesn't deserve your money. That's probably where your issues are. Not sure what your lift included but the castor adjusters may need to be adjusted as well as the track bar.

Quote:
well, this is fun. Their alignment machine went down while mine was being done. They can't finish the job. I left it overnight to see if they could get the machine up but looks like they have to have it repaired.

nice.
The machine was probably tired of doing alignments on our trucks. Play in the steering wheel usually means something's up with the steering gear. Not a cheap fix by any means.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM

The shop that did the lift was a tire store and they don't handle alignments on trucks this big for whatever reason.

The shop I did the alignment at said the pinion(?) nut was not tight....I'm thinking he's talking about the pitman arm nut? anyways, they snugged that up and are awaiting the machine repair to finish the alignment. I brought the truck home but only got it up to about 50mph or so. Felt fine but that may be just me. It still needs an alignment, IMO.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Yeah I was going to mention the pitman arm nut. A friend of mine just had his lift put on and two weeks later he couldn't hardly keep it on the road and his pitman arm nut was about to fall off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.