Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

diesel virgin

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bentstroke_02 
#1 ·
two weeks into my 2010 250 and love it. first two fill ups I avg 16.9 normal driving, today I avge 12 at best? bad fuel? I know regen kills it but
don't understand,cant hear or see any changes in motor stats..what do you think?:crazy:

#2 ·
you're going to have to learn what stations have good fuel, and which ones don't.. there are two stations I will not fuel from under any circumstances, and one I try to use all the time... quality of fuel is likely the biggest contributor to good or poor economy, in my opinion.

#4 ·
That would be my guess as well. I was filling at a spot that serves rigs so I figured that would be a safe bet. Couldn't get there to refuel, so I hit a different place and MPGs went up. I haven't been back there since! I also use 2oz of the Ford Cetane booster with a mix of 6oz marvel mystery oil every other refuel.

#5 ·
wheres the truth

it would be nice to know whose fuel comes from where....here in the southwest it would seem a texas pipeline supplies Arizona....I often stop to talk to tanker drivers filling maverick,safeway,sams club outlets and they say it comes from the same tank farm in phoenix....they see flying j or whatever they call themselves now all filling their tankers at the same place.....so are shell,citgo,valero,and other name brands refining their own fuels? no refineries in az that I know of.

#7 ·
Some ground tanks are old, or filthy, or old and filthy.. some folks don't take care transferring oil like they do gas.. the bad thing is oil holds crap in suspension more than gas.. this is why filters are bigger and replaced more often with oil... Gas is a solvent and cleans transfer tanks and ground tanks.. crap builds up in oil tanks and pumps into your tank.. its imperative to find a good station.

#9 ·
Winter is here boys so that winter fuel is here to and that will make your MPG go down more then you would like. I live in KS and once it gets cold I get crappy MPG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.