Bulletproofing 6.4 ~ More confused than when I started - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bulletproofing 6.4 ~ More confused than when I started

Man, I feel dumb.

I have read countless threads on this topic and I think that I am more confused now than when I started researching this topic.

Here is where I am at now. I have purchased an H&S Minimaxx race tuner and am now trying to make the purchases for the following items (CAI, EGR & DPF delete). I thought that I was all set, and then I started reading more threads on here & I think that I got into my own head a bit. Here are my issues:

1. CAI. I am planning on putting one of these on, but as I start researching them I find that there are wet or dry versions of them. Damn. Not sure whats best there...

2. I had planned on getting the Sinister EGR delete kit, but then I started reading about the high flow intake elbows & I am trying to figure out if I should get that also. Frankly, I am still new to this 6.4 & the whole EGR system confuses me a bit. I thought that I was trying to delete it with this kit, yes? What does replacing the intake elbow do for me?

3. DPF Delete. Mostly a size issue here. I was going to just the the 4" DPF Delete pipe. But again, after doing some reading, it appears that all of the stock piping on the 6.4 is 3.5", right? So I need to either get the 3.5" pipe or get the 4" pipe and swap out everything downstream, right? Also, should I just go ahead and get rid of the CAT while I am at it? Pros/Cons on that one?

4. Wastegate. What the hell is this thing? I have run across it a couple of times while I have been reading up on everything else, and I can't find a decent explanation of what it is or what it does or why I should consider doing it.

I guess that's about it. I'm just trying to figure out what all I should buy for this project. I will be doing it all myself, and I want to do everything at once, even if it takes me longer than a day. I just want to do what I have to do to make the truck last as long as possible.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The CAI filter is just a matter of preference. If you want oiled or dry. I prefer dry but that is my preference.

The egr elbow is pretty restrictive as well as the CAC pipe. I would call Performance truck products they have a good priced egr delete w/ elbow. You can always get a MBRP or flo pro then or later down the road if you want. Or if you don't want you don't have to.

All dpf/cat delete insert pipes are 4" as far as I know because that is what the pipe going into the cat is and when It comes out of the dpf it reduces back to 3.5 to finish its way out the truck. I would definitely delete the cat with the dpf to allow for better airflow.

Wastegates are for controlling backpressure and turbo speeds. I don't think you should be worried about a wastegate if you are just now getting to this point. Most wastegates are needed after adding more fuel (dual hpfp, injectors, etc) or when you put in bigger turbos
Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 AM

what he said lol. You could just do 5in exhaust if ya want lol
Old 11-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info Woodboy. They have a Sinister EGR delete kit w/elbow for $349 and the Sinister DPF/CAT delete pipes for $219. That just leaves me with the CAI filter. I read that the wet does a better job at filtration, but is more restrictive on the airflow, while the dry is just the opposite. Also, I would probably be more prone to replacing the filter instead of cleaning it.

As far as the sound of the truck goes with no DPF or CAT, is it going to be too loud? I'm not really into letting my neighbors know every time I come home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstroke_02 View Post
what he said lol. You could just do 5in exhaust if ya want lol
I have thought about it, but I like the tips that I currently have. If I did do the 5in exhaust, that would need to be run all the way from the engine, correct?
Old 11-14-2013, 11:43 AM

With a dpf/cat delete insert pipe it isn't loud, it will have a air rush sound but not a loud sound. Are you stuck on sinister?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
Are you stuck on sinister?
No, not really. Do you have another suggestion?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:58 PM

I just put a sinister egr delete with elbow and a coolant filter on two weeks ago and they seem to be top notch, not to mention the blue looks sweet.

Just put a flo pro 5" turbo back exhaust on last weekend and gained 5 psi boost and lost a bunch of backpressure compared to the dpf only delete pipe I had on. The 4 inch down pipe needs a tweak where it touches the firewall though. No big deal.

I went with a No Limit cai and it is great too. Although it battled with the ccv until I did the exhaust and routed it through there.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorboy View Post
I just put a sinister egr delete with elbow and a coolant filter on two weeks ago and they seem to be top notch, not to mention the blue looks sweet.

Just put a flo pro 5" turbo back exhaust on last weekend and gained 5 psi boost and lost a bunch of backpressure compared to the dpf only delete pipe I had on. The 4 inch down pipe needs a tweak where it touches the firewall though. No big deal.

I went with a No Limit cai and it is great too. Although it battled with the ccv until I did the exhaust and routed it through there.
You have your ccv routed into the exhaust? If so did you make your own kit or buy one?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So the ccv would normally dump back into the air intake, right? I was thinking of doing this mod at the same time, since I was going to go ahead in be in that area working. I just thought that people were venting it out of the truck, but this is the first time that I have seen an actual mod for it to be vented into the exhaust. I wonder if there are any pros/cons to doing it that way.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-120108/
Old 11-14-2013, 02:08 PM

At the moment I have mine vented to the atmosphere but I am interested in routing it to the exhaust with the darkhorse diesel kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.