Auxiliary Fuel Tank... thoughts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Hunter of Trolls

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auxiliary Fuel Tank... thoughts?

I'd like to have one to increase my range, as my drive season is approaching.

I should be able to escape the state I live in, find cheaper fuel where taxes aren't so high, top off both the tank and the aux tank, and not have to fuel again until I'm passing back through 2k miles later.. after the third or fourth trip, it will have paid for itself... during the non-drive season, I can treat and store in the ready position enough fuel to drive 2.5k+ miles without refueling.. you know, in case of zombies or some such and I gotta drive to Canada or somewhere..

I'm looking at a 120ga aluminum in bed tank, that will fit under the rail and in front of the wheel well.. added to main fuel, that is around 155ga on board.

plumbing will fill from aux tank to main tank via gravity, and into the fill neck of the main tank.. I will have to re-route my air dog return line from that tap and likely just have it return to the aux tank instead, unless any of y'all have something to say about that that I have missed.

who else here has done this? any problems? advice? It would be much appreciated.

Something I am considering is an additional filtration/separation phase between the tanks.. anybody done that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had a slip tank in my truck. Took it out as I didn't use it very often and needed the extra space rather than the extra diesel. Mine too was a gravity fed system with a small pump to increase the trickle to more of a flow. If I had to do it again, I'd get a pump with both a water and dirt filtration system. The larger the transfer tank, the longer it will take to use the diesel. Water/condensation, algae, and other contaminants are a risk with large volumes of diesel unless it's being used relatively quickly. With our fuel systems being so picky for good, clean diesel, I'd make sure to filter it and get a transfer tank where you think you'll use most of its contents quickly.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:21 AM
Hunter of Trolls

I appreciate the response!

The tank I settled on is a 80ga... After reading about gravity feed float ball valve auto feeders, I am NOT going that route.. I don't wanna lose fuel on the ground..

I went with a regular transfer tank pump, that comes with a handled nozzle.. I won't use the nozzle, but instead adapt it down to a smaller line and run it into the main tank fill tube.. the pump pulls with enough force to either push oil through a filter and water separator, or pull it.. I haven't decided which direction I'll go with, yet.. I see advantages either way..

I really thought about getting an additional AirDog for this duty instead of using a transfer tank pump and nozzle, and basically because I know it will last a long time, and because I could use it as a back-up if the AD I have on the truck fails... but dollar to dollar, the transfer tank pump won out..

I'm going to wire the pump into an up fitter switch so I can turn it on whilst driving, and top off the main tank- simply turning it off when its nearing full.. I like the idea of pulling it out of the top of the auxiliary tank rather than the bottom, because if the plumbing fails somewhere- there will be no spill..

my worries then, are about forgetting it's on- and overfilling.. so.. I also purchased a 12vdc buzzer/alarm I'll wire inline with the pump, that puts out 155 decibels, and I'll mount it to the exterior of the tank.. the pump 'sposedly operates at 20gpm, which will make quick work of filling the main tank, and I'll be looking forward to killing the horrid buzz/alarm- and most likely won't forget and leave it on..

the total amount of fuel onboard will be 106, of which I'll likely use nearing 100ga between top offs... that is a range of 1610 miles of normal driving, or about a month.. it's a range of nearing 2000 miles strictly highway w/o a load, and 1500 w/ a load.. I dig that hugely.

I'll treat the fuel with stabilizer and both cetane boost and lubricity adder.. Hopefully, I won't ever need to waste it, as it will be used pretty quickly.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:11 AM
Hunter of Trolls

there was little interest in this, but I thought I'd come back and offer up results..

I ordered a tool box, based on dimensions, and ended up with a DeeZee, and only because they were the only ones that made a box in those specific dimensions.. turns out, the dimensions were wrong, and the box was smaller than advertised.. that's what I get for buying anything DeeZee, who are known crooks..

I ordered a tank from Union Hydro, an RDS rectangular 60gal job.. can't say enough good about that outfit or the tank itself.. it was precisely as advertised, delivered timely, and met every expectation.

I decided another AirDog 150 on board may be a good thing, in the case of failure of the primary lift pump duties, I can swap this one in... also, I don't have to have a stack of differing filters; just the ones for the AD.. it is turned on with an upfitter switch in the cab..

I plumbed up a (normally closed) solenoid valve that toggles with an upfitter switch and through a timer board.. the timer board operates for right at three minutes (or transfers a 1/4 tank of fuel to the main tank) and also triggers a couple of 155db buzzers to remind me to turn off the pump.. it closes the valve at the end of that three minutes so I don't spill.. All I gotta do is wait for the main tank to drop to less than 3/4 tank, tap the upfitter switch, and transfer filtered fuel.

here are some pics of the control panel/pump, before, and after.. I didn't mind losing bed space because I mad a nice little platform/bed for the dog while I travel.. what can I say, but that dog has it good..

I had to drop the factory tank, and took that opportunity to install a sump on it, but also to tap the roof of it with a bulkhead fitting and a 1" fuel hose for the transfer.

I had to fabricate those little panels that go over the wheel hub, and raise the DeeZee box to flush with the top.. I cut and covered some boards to fit between the rail and the tank/box, to tidy things up... all towing straps and other stuff is under the passenger side hinged board, and the pump/control board under the drivers side.. I even mounted a spare battery in the deezee to power the on-board air compressor hidden under the passenger flip panel, and I'm going to use the space under the deezee to conceal the hose for that compressor.

I also wired in a 12v cigar lighter outlet over the drivers side wheel hub for gadgets I often use.. the top of the box is flush now, and has isopore mats under the carpet to make it flush and insulate..

overall, I'm happy with the results.. it appears it will suit my needs just fine.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM

Looks good. Enjoy the fill ups...

Old 12-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Hunter of Trolls

yeah, i already learned that... but, it will pay for itself pretty quick, which is the biggest reason I did this... when work offers to fill my tank, they have a surprise. :-)
Old 12-02-2013, 02:14 PM

I have a 90gal slip tank that work fills. Such a good feeling. My tank sat all summer and pretty sure I had a algae problem. Finally got it cleaned glad I found it in time
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks nice, so the buzzer is wired to sound when the pump is running if I read that right??...or does the buzzer sound when the 3 minute timer reaches the time limit? Maybe a very bright led positioned next to the instrument cluster where you normally would be watching...something big and bright colored...would help alert you? Have it light up with the pump switch, wiring is already in the cab for the pump switch...Just an idea...your buzzer warning system reminds me of myself, I probably don't forget a whole lot, but for whatever reason I am always worried about doing exactly that and making accommodations to prevent that... ...probably just another excuse to tinker and figure things out!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Hunter of Trolls

actually, the control board has two different circuits running to it.. upfitter 2 runs the airdog pump.. it pumps to the main tank when the other circuit is closed, or circulates back to the aux tank (using the return line) when the other circuit is open..

the 'other' circuit is upfitter 4.. it has control over the timer board, which has control over both the buzzers and the (normally closed) solenoid valve.. without that valve being open (which happens under power), the pump recirculates to the auxiliary tank instead of the main tank... when I close upfitter 4, the timer board energizes and opens the valve, and starts buzzing the buzzers, and for just under three full minutes- which is a hair shy of a quarter tank on the main tank...

the way it's rigged, I can leave the pump running w/o issues at all- which may be a good thing to circulate and filter fuel in the aux tank.... I can also flip on upfitter 4, and even if I forget about it, it will only run for three minutes before it stops allowing fuel past and into the main tank (and the buzzers sound for only those three minutes)... I would have to flip it off and back on to start another three minute cycle.... I guess the buzzers kinda changed their purpose when I decided to wire it this way, and now only function to let me know the whole system is functioning.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ah I see, that should work too...it's almost like a "EVERYTHING IS OK ALARM"...lol. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o2WmZDP...%3Do2WmZDP3kIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.