2008 f250 with junk motor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 f250 with junk motor

I haven't posted much but read these forums a ton. Came across a possible opportunity to purchase a 2008 f250 fX4. No warning signs, running down the interstate, temps shot up, bells and whistles went off and motor shut down. Truck is now at local dealership and current owner is looking at a 17k dollar bill to replace whole engine with new. Don't know a lot about options on the truck but mileage is around 140k. Would you consider buying this as is, and what kind of money is this worth? Any and all ideas and suggestions appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can get remanufactured 6.4 engines, some with up to a 5 year warranty, for $6-$10k. The truck would definitely have to be priced right if you were looking at swapping a new engine into it.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:41 PM

good luck.

that sucks, hope that never happens to me.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:25 PM

If they get it up and running id do just that, run. If you can get it cheeeep enough to put a new motor in that's your call.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What do y'all think..... $6000 to $8000 like it sits? More, less?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was thinking about throwing out like a 5k offer and see what he says. I'm thinking if the truck is worth about 22k running and it is gonna cost him 17k to have a stealership install a new motor he may bite. am i wrong on running value? I only want it for a project/toy as i currently own the 6.7 and love it.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Wouldn't hurt to throw a low ball other at him. You don't need the truck and worse he can say is no or screw you. He can probably get more scrapping the truck/parting it out if the interior and body panels and other parts are in relatively good condition. He could even throw a new engine in it from a junk yard or a reman motor for $5k plus labor and sell his truck once it's up and running for the market value, $17-20k depending on trim level and condition.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So you think 5k is too low? I'm not looking to screw him over. It is the father of a friend of mine. I know the man well enough that a junk yard/rebuilt engine is not an option for him and he will only fix it using genuine new ford 6.4l installed from the stealership. Figuring a value of 22k and knowing the dealer quote of 17k to replace is where I came up with 5k. Maybe the truck is worth more than 22k?
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 PM
Banned

good running 2011 crew cab 4x4's with a 6.7 and 100,000 miles are going for 25 grand around here so your value estimate seems a little high to me.

5 grand is a good place to start.

I've been hearing of a lot of 6.4 failures lately. seeing as they were only used for a couple of years they're not as common as the others so everything is going to cost a little more if you start dealing with used and rebuilt stuff.

seems like an ideal candidate for a late model 24 valve 5.9 swap? I see them going for $2500 quite a bit and it would make it into a great truck if done well.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

25k for a 2011?? Apparently everyone needs to go north of the boarder to buy their trucks! KBB says my 2011 F350 CCLB is worth around 40k still. My thoughts did involve a Cummins swap but I don't think I could ever do that. Probably just bulletproof that 6.4 and try for some of that big horsepower people claim is easy to come by with that engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.