Bio-diesel.. Little confused. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bio-diesel.. Little confused.

I see under Ford maintenance that if you are using 5% bio-diesel you need to change your maintenance schedule to the one with lower miles to change filters and oil. So this seems bio-diesel is bad for trucks.

Also I see bio-diesel at 20% at the gas pump in CO area, which seems Ford recommend not to use or avoid as much as possible

but doesn't bio have a higher cetane rating?
http://www.biodiesel.org/reports/19960901_gen-187.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I run 100% biodiesel, but I have a 2000 7.3L. My Blackstone reports come back saying to go up to a 7500 mile oil change instead of 5000. I use Rotella T 15w-40 , the oil isn't thick ,sooty black like a diesel fueled truck.It still has a transparent look to it. Biodiesel is the best additive at 5% to give back the lubricity that the ULSD doesn't have. In my opinion, biodiesel is better for the engine and the regular oil changes are sufficient. Send in a sample to Blackstone and see what they say, bottom line this truck is your baby, so you make the call.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

I'll tell ya bio diesel is great...we love it, it keeps our pump shop hummin with business. Truth of the matter is bio contains more water than regular number 2 along with carrying double the contaminets. You think bio is good? Here's some food for thought, the OEM's tell you to change your filters TWICE as often while running it ( even though OEM's don't filter close to what Bosch or Siemens recommends) Argue all you want, and run bio...it keeps fuel shops like us in business.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

this here is a 6.4 ste.

disregard [take no notice] info regarding fuel from owners of 7.3's and 6.0's.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Premium Member

Disregard info from me because I drive a 6.0? Just because I don't drive a 6.4 or the new 6.7 must mean I don't know anything about them right? Information is information, It's up to the individual on how they use it. I see destroyed fuel injection systems from bio a few times a week be it Powerstroke, Cummins, Duramax, Cat, Isuzu etc... It effects all of them the same way. Sure some people run it without any issues for awhile, others get a lesson a little faster. It's up to you guys what you decide to run in your truck. I wouldn't put bio in a diesel powered trash can.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Take it easy, friz... I don't think he was talking to you..

I'll run #1 in the winter in no more than a 90/10 split with #2ulsd.. I rely on additives for upping cetane and lubricity.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

[QUOTE=drewactual;7158890]Take it easy, friz... I don't think he was talking to you..

Well then he must be talking to me ............ This is my opinion , this is what I run in my 2000 F250 7.3L . I have no issues with running biodiesel up to 100% through the warm months and a blend in the colder months. I offer my opinion on many topics , even if I don't drive that particular truck . If you don't like what I say or my point of view then disregard it , but don't come on hear and tell others that my opinions don't count because I don't drive a 6.4L.
You have no idea who I am or what I know about a 6.4L or any other truck. This forum is successful because people have answers , they might not be 100% right but they are trying to help somebody.
BOTTOM LINE...............IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME OR FEEL THAT I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT THEN BITE ME DICKH$%d ...Keep your comments to yourself
Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Take it easy yourself, greasy... Dang... Your 7.3 isn't pumping fuel at 25k+ psi, and through piozzi injectors... Common rail, piazzo injectors, high pressure, and one wad of debris could wreck the fuel systems... Your 7.3 is a friggin bullet proof rig that'll run about anything.. the 6.4 nd 6.7 simply can't take that risk..
Old 11-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

I ran 20% bio (that is what the pump said in New Mexico) and my EGT were higher but it seemed I had more power based on my CTS edge watching throttle position.

So higher hp but also higher EGT at the same time.
That is why I'm so confused about this stuff.

Higher EGT = better burn?

I replaced all my fuel filters at 10k so maybe running bio is not that bad, but someone budget minded (making a living off a 6.4) it might not be a good idea.

I always heard lower the EGT the better mpg...

Lof course I'm nearing the 7.3 world as my EGR and DPF are non but maybe in stock 6.4 it might not be a god idea.

Of course there's the wear on these dang HPFP..
Also I run a full bottle of ford cetane each fill up in hopes my HPFP will last.

His needs to be a round table discussion.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Lower egts mean the engine is less loaded, or working less hard, and is something to an equiv to a high vacuum signal in a gasser..

The high egts you saw tells me your engine is working harder, and your economy is down. Given, you're doing the same job with both fuels, and comparing apples to apples..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.