New style key for an 08 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Don't you worry about it

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New style key for an 08

Just in case anybody was wondering, I have been wanting the newer key with the fob built onto it to save some pocket space. I went on ebay and ordered this key New Ford 80bit Keyless Entry Key Remote Combo Fob Replacement Uncut 3 Button | eBay

When the key arrived I took it to my work and cut it myself. To program the key you HAVE TO HAVE 2 KEYS THAT ARE ALREADY PROGRAMMED AND WORK ON THE TRUCK. To program the key you insert your first already programmed key and turn the truck to the run position without cranking it then remove that key and insert the second already programmed key and do the same thing then take the new un-programmed key and do the same thing with it and that will program it. To program the remote feature gather all the remotes you have that you want programmed to the truck and insert any programmed key and cycle the ignition from off to run 8 times ending in the run position. The locks should lock and unlock, when this happens you need to press the lock button on all the remotes you want programmed. Once you have done that turn the key to the off position and it should lock and unlock again completing the programming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thanks I just bought one..... The factory keys have a chip in them??
Old 10-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Don't you worry about it

Yes they do.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome! I've been wondering about this for a while... Putting this on the to do list after the cluster gets replaced!

Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Don't you worry about it

No problem!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM

I am wanting to do this. this is awesome I never knew you could do this yourself, thought it took a dealer or locksmith with the proper computer hook up to do it.

sux I only got 1 key and 2 fobs with my truck so I guess im still stuck going to the locksmith to have them cut/program a key and fob.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Don't you worry about it

Yea, I feel your pain. When I bought my truck it only came with one key. I ordered another regular key off ebay for $9 when I bought the truck and had the dealership cut and program it for $50 IIRC. I asked my buddy (Ford Service Writer) the other day how much it would cost me if I went to the dealership to get this key and he said $225. So you are still coming out WAY ahead. Also you can program the fob even with just one key. You only have to have two programmed keys to program another key and you can have up to 8 keys at a time programmed to one truck.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
Yea, I feel your pain. When I bought my truck it only came with one key. I ordered another regular key off ebay for $9 when I bought the truck and had the dealership cut and program it for $50 IIRC. I asked my buddy (Ford Service Writer) the other day how much it would cost me if I went to the dealership to get this key and he said $225. So you are still coming out WAY ahead. Also you can program the fob even with just one key. You only have to have two programmed keys to program another key and you can have up to 8 keys at a time programmed to one truck.
we have a really good locksmith place right around the corner from our shop and I talked to them about doing this exact same thing you did with a newer style key/fob and they said I was looking at about 175 bux to buy the key and get the key cut/programmed and the fob programmed. then I asked how much for just another key like I have and it was 95.

I might be able to save a few bux by buying the key/fob off ebay and just have them cut and program the key part and ill program the fob portion.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Don't you worry about it

I will add the only bad thing that I have noticed so far is the ebay key does not have a ford logo on the back of it.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Good to know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.