Cold Morning Smoke P0272 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Morning Smoke P0272

The past few mornings it's gotten down into the 20's here in Wisconsin and I've noticed several times after starting the truck in the morning it has a rough idle and begins pouring white smoke (not super rough but definitely some knock). I can't tell if it smells like diesel or oil really but after I start driving it goes back to normal and truck runs great.

After it happened again yesterday, I figured I'd check the mini-maxx for codes and sure enough I was getting a P0272 code on cylinder 4, though not sure why the mini was preventing the CEL from coming on. I reset the codes and got the same thing the next morning after starting. After seeing this I immediately took it to the local dealer this morning to have it looked at and to see if they could check the compression in cyl 4.

Well of course it's nice out this week and I get a call back from the dealer saying they can't find anything wrong. I asked if they did a compression test in 4 and he said it was only slightly off (though I haven't seen the actual report to see if they really did a compression test). My fear is that the injector is starting to stick and will eventually blow up cyl 4, or that something is mechanically wrong like a rocker arm going out.

Has anyone ever experienced similar issues in the cold or is it possible for the injectors to act up when it's cold out? I haven't been running a winter additive yet, plan on picking up a white bottle of kleen later this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Drilled the service guy again about if they ran a compression test and they said they didn't as there was no reason to run one. I had to argue with them to run a compression test anyways, so $250 for them to tell me nothing's wrong because it idles fine and now another $250 for a compression test.. time to find a new shop.

Oh and after telling me their diesel tech didn't have any experience with tuners they suggested my tuner was probably the problem.

Last edited by reighnman; 10-28-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
Drilled the service guy again about if they ran a compression test and they said they didn't as there was no reason to run one. I had to argue with them to run a compression test anyways, so $250 for them to tell me nothing's wrong because it idles fine and now another $250 for a compression test.. time to find a new shop.

Oh and after telling me their diesel tech didn't have any experience with tuners they suggested my tuner was probably the problem.
Yeah find a new dealer, don't let that one waste any more of your time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-01-2013, 03:51 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Could be a worn out glow plug in #4...or a injector starting to stick/fail, I replaced my #1 injector around a year ago for a cont./balance code...no cold start issues, slightly off idle and randomly smokey truck...truck has been spot on since...you need a smart dealer to use IDS and check the fueling tables after a cold soak...if the tables are off specs in #4, you will most likely need a injector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.