Should I be afraid of buying a 6.4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 05:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I be afraid of buying a 6.4?

Hey guys, right now I'm in a 01 7.3 that has really been problem free for 190k other than a new Tranny. I'm ready for a new ride and really don't want to spend more than 28 grand. I'm seeing a lot of 08s around 70k miles in that price range. I'm wondering if I should be scared of buying one or what I should watch for. I would definitely delete the egr crap asap.
Thanks Brad

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
There's been 6 of these threads in the last week and a half. Not jumping on you but just search around as this has been discussed in the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 forums many many many many and many times.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Imagine if you spent half of the 28,000 dollars on your 7.3! Man you could biuld a awesome ride! And you already know what you need to improve and what would be the biggest bang for the buck.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
Imagine if you spent half of the 28,000 dollars on your 7.3! Man you could biuld a awesome ride! And you already know what you need to improve and what would be the biggest bang for the buck.
X2

Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
Problem is I live in WNY so keeping up with the under carriage maintenance gets expensive and I'm ready for something new

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

[QUOTE=mts678;6997225]There was just a thread on this 2 days ago. And there's many more. Have you not searched about this yet? Things to think about when going to a 6.4- can you afford a cab off procedure and the expense of doing other mods / replacement of parts while the cab is off? Are you going to work on the truck yourself or have somebody else do it? The 7.3 and 6.0 are easier to work on vs a 6.4 / 6.7. The 7.3 has been around for a while and parts are cheaper and more abundant versus the 6.4. Just depends on your lifestyle and deepness or shallowness of your wallet. I loved my 6.4 but I didn't have a big truck fund set aside for when **** hits the fan. The 7.3 fits my lifestyle and bank account better. This isn't the case for everybody obviously.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 AM

I have both and hate driving my 7.3 more everyday.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 AM

One of my best friends is a former Ford diesel tech that has his own business now. He does 100% of the work on my 6.0. He and his wife were in our wedding, and my wife and I were in theirs. He said he'd stop answering my calls if I bought a 6.4.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think that if you haven't done enough research on here to know what you're getting into than Yes, you should be scared.

If you've done your research, understand how the engines work, the pitfalls associated with the EPA crap, and how to pretty easily avoid those pitfalls than you should jump right in.

Owning one isn't for the kind of person who is going to read all the negative propoganda on here and base their decision on the 6.4 hearsay.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
There's been 6 of these threads in the last week and a half. Not jumping on you but just search around as this has been discussed in the 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 forums many many many many and many times.

I guess we can go ahead and close the 7.3 section and most of the 6.0 section then. Cause if we are gonna get smacked around for reasking a already covered question its gonna get ugly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.