Winter time - do you run a less hot tune? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Winter time - do you run a less hot tune?

So, on my 6.0 I would just return to stock for winters after some people locally told me they never ran a tune during the colder months around Ohio. With the 6.4 that would mean putting the old exhaust back on, etc. and that isn't happening.

My questions is, what are people with cooler temps doing for winter? Not talking like 40s, I am talking like 20's for days straight, or colder. I am in OH, just south of the lake effect snow, and do use a block heater for 3 hours+ daily before I start her up. Then let her run a bit before dropping the kid off at daycare and starting my 40 min commute.

I have an SCT Livewire, canned tune, then 3 Gearhead tunes, tow, street, hot street. Right now I am running the tow tune to see what the MPG is, and was hoping to run the street again next week to do the same. It's my first full week driving the truck daily as I sold my commuter that was costing too much money in the long route.

So thoughts are I may just run the canned tune or tow tune as I am sure they are not as hard on the motor as the street or hot street. Or am I being overly cautious? My friend with a Dirty that plows(2010), runs his on full tune all year long, and he is in the snow belt and about 10 degrees colder on average.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM

I run the lowest tune I have so on my h&s running hd300 the lowest tune is 40hp. A couple buddies out here I know run spartan and he leaves his on the 275 even when it gets down to -30 -40.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:02 PM

Yeah I just run mine on stock setting on my mini maxx. And have the defuels set for coolant and oil for the colder weather.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM

I run tow tune 60 hp in summer pulling boat ect. it keeps the oil and coolant temps down ,in winter I hop it up to extreme 100 hp. it's cold enough to keep temps down plus don't tow much in winter.
JER-1
Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 PM

I use spartan 210 during winter months.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 PM

Jer your truck shouldn't run that much hotter with a higher tune. Especially only 100hp tune. I can run 300hp tune and all temps stay the same
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
You don't have to turn the power down. It's just crucial to let it get up to temperature before beating on it. I would run it on your tow or street tune and you will be fine. I run my mini max on tow and when plowing I usually turn it down to "stock" which is the lowest hp setting on the switch on the fly because it can get kinda crazy plowing with the tune turned up hahahaha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

I just let'er warm to operating temp and off I go. All that matters is how you use the skinny pedal. Once engine, trans and differentials are warmed up, the rest is all you. I set mine on my H&S to the HD300 and never looked back. You can blow it up in the cold just as easy as you can in the heat.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Thanks all, so far the tow tune is holding fine in the fall temps, may try to street tune then just to bump it up a tad and hopefully improve the MPG a little too. Then again, swapping to winter wheels/tires next weekend and taking a lot of weight off the axles with the stockers.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM

I have Spartan and I run the 275 tune damn near year round until the snow hits the ground then I will turn it down a lot. The higher tunes just lets the tires spin to easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.