F250 pulls left when braking...just a bit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F250 pulls left when braking...just a bit

Now, there's more to this story but I'll give the basics:
08 f250 CC 6.4. 50k miles, assuming all OEM brakes. New wheels/tires but tires done twice due to a separate issue. Braking issue is still there, exactly the same. Lets rule out wheels/tires.

Now normally, IMO, when braking and you get a pull to the left, the right caliper is dragging at some point, be it pins or caliper.

Here's the main detail. This started after the LEFT front caliper hung up on me. It only did it once and for about a mile and released after a stop. It got hot and I smelled and felt the pull as I was driving. Full stop and it went away, never happened again.

100% certain it was the left caliper.

Pads are visibly worn to my eye without removing the wheel and inspecting. I was going to just do new rotors and pads but it got me thinking, why would it pull left after this event?

I should add, this is not noticeable until speeds above 50 mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 AM

Hmm.

Maybe, what's the best choice for pads/rotors? Autozone is the same price for standard rotors/pads as online for slotted/dimpled with pads.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 AM

no ideas here?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
did you pull the wheels and check the calipers/grease the pins/lube the pads?

The idea is you self diag-ed that you have a stuck caliper, which is probably why no one responded.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM

I have not pulled it, my wheel lock was misplaced until recently. I guess it could be a partially/sticking pin. It just doesn't create heat or anymore brake dust than the left.

I just found it odd the left hung briefly and it pulls to the right at high speed braking.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I hear ya, and I'd think it was odd too but I'd also pull down and service all 4 corners before it locked for good.

You could have a piston issue on the left and a slide hanging on the right... there is no telling.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dragging pins usually cause pull issues, also look for non smooth parts on the inside side of the rotor ...another sign of sticking pins...sounds like they need new pins/grease (good grease) and I would also bleed the whole brake system and replace with new fluid...old rubber/dirt in the fluid can damage the caliper and make it stick...and overheated fluid from stuck brakes should be changed out anyway...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Put the front end in the air and here's what I found.

1. right side has more drag on the wheel when spinning when compared to left. I could get a revolution out of both but the drivers(left) was a bit easier. I do run 35's on 20's.

2. Pulled right(pass) wheel. Pulled pin bolt and the pin is smooth as can be. in and out. No resistance at all. It moved freely with the rubber plunger.

3. Pads looked thick.

4. Rotors looked smooth and rotated smoothly.

I did see something, as the axle enters at the spindle/tube entrance area, there is a large o-ring that is just floating there. Dry all around.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
O-ring is just a axle dust seal, no big deal, you might have a wheel bearing or hub issue ...and U-joints can bind and cause all sorts of funky steering drags and pulls...

Last edited by rt_hawk; 10-30-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Stupid auto correct
Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 AM

It looked like a dust seal but I haven't had one of these apart so I didn't know for sure.

I'd like to fix the issue with the pulling but TBH, it doesn't do it driving around town, it only occurs/noticeable when over, say 60mph and you get on the brakes. Truck drives smooth and straight at 40 or 90 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.