Looking at a 6.4L ... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a 6.4L ...

I'm going to trade in my escalade and Sierra 1500 and get into a f250. I found a 2010 f250 lariat4x4 6.4 with only 24.5k miles. She's mint. Only blemish I saw was the reardrivers seat ddidn't have a towel underneath a car seat. New tires. Hour meter read 1150 hours which Ithought was high. It alsohas had 2 owners. I was told the ffirst guy bought it in 2010 and had it a year then the last owner got it and just traded it. I haven't seen the oasis report yet neither. The Internet price is $39.5k
If my mechanicsays eeverything looks good, what is a fair price for it? It's whitewith a light tan interior. No nav, sunroof. And is there also anything I should look for myself on it or listenfor? Still new to the ddiesels and have read up a little bit, mainly ups and downs vs the 6.7
Thanks yall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm picking up the truck before work tonight to drive it to work and then around town some when I get off.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

look at the engine, crawl under it and look for oil drips, leaks, look at the exhaust to see if anything has been done previously, look at the exhaust manifolds, egr stuff make sure everything looks good, look at the color of the coolant it should be a gold clear cooler, if its brown/black ish it needed to be flushed. and then lastly drive it like you stole it from a couple of stops. if it puts out alittle black smoke that is normal, if it puts out alot of white smoke stay away from it. (means their is a coolant leak) listen for all the werid noises comming from it, it should make around 35 psi boost stock from the turbos. make sure it properly spools. look at the oil, trans fluids, smell the trans shouldnt smell burnt. should be a red cooler not Black or brown ( if it has alot of idle hours the trans could of just been used for a tow rig. check it inside and out. look under the dash for extra wiring and stuff to see if anything was added to it. litterally look at everything and anything, look for extra stuff added, slope in the stearing drive everything. if anything jumps out then think again before you buy, and DO NOT BUY IT WITHOUT A FULL OAIS REPORT. if stuff was replaced like the problem stuff.. radiator, gaskets, injectors, its not nessicarly a bad thing, because the problem is mostlikly fixed now. any other questions feel free to ask. Just make sure you get on it wide open throttle a couple times to make sure the dealer didnt put a bandaid on it to get it off the lot.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks man. I picked it up and I'm at work now. Only drove it a few miles and it was raining when I picked it up. I'll do a run through on what you were talking about tomorrow. They just put new tires on it and only thing I noticed is it needs an alignment. Pulls to the left a bit.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also thought it was weird it has a half a tank of diesel in it. Never see any cars with fuel in them at the dealerships
Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 AM

diesel truck you never want to run them out of fuel, could be a fresh trade in also. If they just put new tires on it, could have never been changed before. Put it in 4x4 and 4 low and make sure it doesnt make any noises.drive down the road in 4x4 (STRIGHT LINE) you will hear growling if its bad. other than that check out everything. post pictures of the truck, underneath and engine and if anything was altered im sure we could identify it.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Sounds like a nice truck but I have to say for less than $8k more you could buy a brand new crew cab lariat 6.7 with a warranty?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Msrp on those lariats are 62k. They're coming off that much for them??
Old 10-17-2013, 04:06 PM

There are 2 lariats at my local dealer for $48k
Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can you show me a link? I'm learning lariats can be basically an xlt with leather. Or loaded up with nav, heated cooled seats, etc so starting msrp varies a lot. I've seen them go from 56 to 63 msrp, the ones for 48k, what is their msrp or options?
I will say though driving both was night and day. I swear I thought I was driving a 1/2 ton when I drove the 6.7 and stock vs stock the 6.7 definitely beats it on power and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.