Alignment after steering gear replacement? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Alignment after steering gear replacement?

Should I get my truck aligned after I replace the steering gear? I just got it aligned 4 days ago when I was trouble shooting my steering issue, it did need an alignment pretty bad and now it tracks great...but the steering gear is the main problem...so is an alignment really needed after a steering gear change out? Both connections on the gear are keyed...so you can't mess it up...I just can't see much getting out of adjustment by taking off the parts and bolting them back together...also the workshop manual says you can't reuse the bolts that mount the steering gear to the frame...Can't I just locktite them if I reuse them? Or should I get new bolts from a hardware store and use locktite?

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Anyone?? Swapped out my steering gear with a napa reman...holy crap! I have a new truck again! Smoothest steering ever ! On the old box I couldn't even turn the pitman arm with a 6 foot breaker bar when removing the large nut that holds it on ...the shaft on the pitman appears to be almost an inch lower than on the new one...and the input side of things was extremely hard to move as well...I am guessing I was close to completely losing all steering...

Last edited by rt_hawk; 10-17-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tag for update. Mine's getting replaced under my ESP right now. Only 40k on it and needs new steering box and tie rod ends.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Picked my truck up today. They did the alignment after replacing the steering shock and track bar bushing and ends. Steering gear won't be in until late next week. They said there is no need to do the alignment again after replacing the steering gear.

Hope this helps.

BTW so glad I got the ESP on my truck!! Paid for itself twice already!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:44 AM

Thanks a lot Jeremy, I appreciate you letting me know!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM

I also replaced my drag link (inner)...I messed up the threads with the gear puller and it was shot anyway...but I counted the number of turns it took to come off and then I replaced the adjustment sleeve and made sure it all measure the same length as the previous one... So far my wheel is still centered and steering is spot on...just FYI...and if anyone needs a easy way to bleed a PS system I used my mighty vac and a 3 dollar rubber stopper with a hole in it and applied vacuum through the PS resevoir...you apply vacuum till it gets tight, slowly release it, and repeat until the fluid level stops dropping/bubbles stop coming up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.