Rear End Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear End Questions

I have just put some bigger tires on my 2010 2wd and now the truck is feeling sluggish for obvious reasons. The question is the LSD is garbage so I am going to replace with the Truetrac unit and I figure while I am in there I should go ahead and change the ring and pinion to a lower gear. The truck now has the 3.31 gears in it. It only has 33's on it so I am thinking that the 3.55 gears should work. Anyone have any advice or opinions on this? Should I just go up to the 3.73? Thanks in advance for any help.

2010 F250 PSD Reg Cab
-Spartan tuner, MBRP cold side, DE Turbo-Back, AFE CAI, Sinister Diesel Elbow/Delete.
HP=Not Enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would leave it like it is. I have 3.55s and 35s while I know of some others running bigger tires than me on 3.55s doing just fine.

Let me ask this, what kind of driving do you do most of the time?

2010 CC/SB FX4 Lariat.. Tuned By Eric@IDP and Matt@Gearhead

Thinking about getting rid of the stock 6.7 turbo?
Check this out... and research before buying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM

I also would not touch the gearing unless you plan to go larger than 33" tires.

and X2, what kind of driving do you do?

-Kyle
'10 F350 CCLB HD
No Limit CAI, Powerstroke67 DP, MBRP 5" exhaust, Sinister EGR delete, NoLimit Cold side & intake tube, PMF floating traction bars. Spartan tuned.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do mostly half and half city/highway. I also plan to start towing a small trailer(lawnmowers and such) in the near future. Also, I believe that when I put the bigger tires with the higher power levels it burned up my torque converter. Acceleration seems the same at like 60-100% throttle until the converter locks then it seems spot on. Anyone know the limits on the stock converters?

2010 F250 PSD Reg Cab
-Spartan tuner, MBRP cold side, DE Turbo-Back, AFE CAI, Sinister Diesel Elbow/Delete.
HP=Not Enough
post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I have 3.55 on 35's and it's fine. 2000rpm at 80mph.

2015 F350 DRW Platinum, SCT X4, EDGE CTS2, aFe PDS, AirLift 5000 Ultimate & Wireless Air, Lund LED Bull Bar, RC Grille bar, B&W 5th Wheel, Stark LED Lighting
2010 F250, H&S Mini Maxx, aFe PDS, Diamond Eye 4", Pro Comp Nitro 2.5", Bilstein 5100, SmittyBilt Bull Bar, Bushwacker Pocket Style, B&W Slider, Firestone Ride-Rite, Fuel Hostage 20x10, Pioneer/Kicker/JL Audio

post #6 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
something is wrong with your truck, if it feels sluggish.

2013 Lariat Eco-Boost F150 Super Crew 4x4 20K Miles. Max-Tow 3.73's, luxury package. Amp Steps, Raceline Raptor Wheels, Bak-Flip, and much more.

(Sold) 2011 Lariat 6.7 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4 60K MILES
Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70/R18 on OEM's
post #7 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The power is there I can feel it. It just seems it is not getting to the ground efficiently. I don't think it is the transmission because once I let the TC lock and step on it its like a rocket but when its not locked it seems to rev a lot but not go so much if that makes any sense. Anyone think that this could be caused by the transmission fluid going bad? Think what I am going to do is put the Truetrac in and replace the TC and fluid.

2010 F250 PSD Reg Cab
HP=Not Enough
post #8 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sounds like the trans is slipping by the way your describing it. I believe stock tires measure 32"... You shouldn't notice a 1" taller tire with 500+ hp on tap (depending on tune)

05 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed
ARPs w/OEM Gaskets
MTW Stage 2 w/batmowheel

BPD oil cooler w/ cold weather package
BPD Updated umm...Everything
BPD bypass oil filter
BPD FICM 58v
Spring Mod
Egr deleted
4" Duals
Edge CTS
Custom grille made by Me

X3 w/Matts SRL+/SRLxx and Tow Tunes
Tony WildmanExtreme w/early lockup

post #9 of 9 Old 10-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin10 View Post
The power is there I can feel it. It just seems it is not getting to the ground efficiently. I don't think it is the transmission because once I let the TC lock and step on it its like a rocket but when its not locked it seems to rev a lot but not go so much if that makes any sense. Anyone think that this could be caused by the transmission fluid going bad? Think what I am going to do is put the Truetrac in and replace the TC and fluid.
I know exactly what your talking about, when the torque converter is unlocked my truck feels sluggish compared to when the tc is locked. I think the tc's aren't very efficient on these trucks. As far as I can tell my transmission isn't slipping.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 (Job 1) F250 King ranch 4x4, snow plow prep package with 2.5 level. Black Maxx, B&W Diehard platinums. Dieselsite coolant and transmission filters, NCU Motorsports/amsoil oil bypass kit. Turbo blankets, 5.5 PMF traction
Please collect and message me Shell, Rotella oil cap codes aka "my miles matter" I'm trying to save up for a hat or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode