Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rear End Questions

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  44magnum 
#1 ·
I have just put some bigger tires on my 2010 2wd and now the truck is feeling sluggish for obvious reasons. The question is the LSD is garbage so I am going to replace with the Truetrac unit and I figure while I am in there I should go ahead and change the ring and pinion to a lower gear. The truck now has the 3.31 gears in it. It only has 33's on it so I am thinking that the 3.55 gears should work. Anyone have any advice or opinions on this? Should I just go up to the 3.73? Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 ·
I would leave it like it is. I have 3.55s and 35s while I know of some others running bigger tires than me on 3.55s doing just fine.

Let me ask this, what kind of driving do you do most of the time?

#3 ·
I also would not touch the gearing unless you plan to go larger than 33" tires.

and X2, what kind of driving do you do?

#4 ·
I do mostly half and half city/highway. I also plan to start towing a small trailer(lawnmowers and such) in the near future. Also, I believe that when I put the bigger tires with the higher power levels it burned up my torque converter. Acceleration seems the same at like 60-100% throttle until the converter locks then it seems spot on. Anyone know the limits on the stock converters?

#5 ·
I have 3.55 on 35's and it's fine. 2000rpm at 80mph.

#6 ·
something is wrong with your truck, if it feels sluggish.

#7 ·
The power is there I can feel it. It just seems it is not getting to the ground efficiently. I don't think it is the transmission because once I let the TC lock and step on it its like a rocket but when its not locked it seems to rev a lot but not go so much if that makes any sense. Anyone think that this could be caused by the transmission fluid going bad? Think what I am going to do is put the Truetrac in and replace the TC and fluid.

#9 ·
I know exactly what your talking about, when the torque converter is unlocked my truck feels sluggish compared to when the tc is locked. I think the tc's aren't very efficient on these trucks. As far as I can tell my transmission isn't slipping.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Sounds like the trans is slipping by the way your describing it. I believe stock tires measure 32"... You shouldn't notice a 1" taller tire with 500+ hp on tap (depending on tune)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.