Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Drag prepping!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Tuscany 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm just looking for some input. I'm planning on getting my truck ready for the drags next year. Going to be building it as much as I can during the winter. Well basically my goal is a 12 second truck. My 08 6.4 has a KEM 310 tune, all deletes, new IC boots, getting a 6" stack so ill have 4" down pipe, 5" piping to the stack, and chromoly push rods (I know that's not really a power adder just put them in cause I bent a push rod awhile ago). But I'm going to add a S475 turbo as a secondary turbo, running the stock VGT as the smaller turbo still. Then I'm going to do Headstuds. And a 150gph lift pump. You think that's enough for a 12 second truck? I've heard rumors of 12 second 6.4s with just a hot tune.. Keep in mind my trucks pretty light because its an XL. Altough it's a CCSB. It still only weighs 7500lbs. Eventually I'll be doing dual fuelers and 100% nozzles but not in time for the drags.

#2 ·
Yes, 6.4s already run high 12s. Why not just buy a 71mm, 72mm, or 76mm from elite to drop right in? A guy run 11s with his 71mm and some spray the other day on PSA

#4 ·
You will spend more than double putting that s475 on there vs a drop in 71-72. I think you should do more research on what it takes to put a s475 behind the factory vgt.

#5 ·
Traction is anther u need to think about. U kan have all the power in the world if u don't put it to the ground its useless. I run toyo proxes st2 on my truck and they hook extremly well

#6 ·
Better have a good set of traction bars. I found out the hard way about traction bars. Like they said a properly tuned stock 6.4 with deletes is capable of high 12's. Elites prices are high but when talking about the 6.4 there isn't any room in that engne bay so elite has already done the hard work and engineering to get a 71mm or 72mm charger to drop in as a replacement. Going the cheaper route with a 475 is in fact cheaper on the charger however it will cost you a ton to have someone fab up a piping kit to make that 475 work. So while it seems cheaper up front it's going to cost a ton more in the end. Make sure you have traction bars or you can kiss low 12's to sub 12 goodbye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.