Why is my mileage so terrible (DPF deleted/ IDP tuned) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 03:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why is my mileage so terrible (DPF deleted/ IDP tuned)

Hey all, I'm really at a loss about why my mileage is so awful. I can't get over 16mpg on the freeway to save my LIFE . I've tried every single IDP tune, and obviously I stay out of throttle/ boost and don't go over 75. My mileage is hand calculated so I know it's correct. The lie-o-meter says I'm getting 24+mpg

With the Extreme X tune I am seeing 12.5mpg mixed, 10 mile freeway commute to work, and basic light in town driving (no crazy stop and go traffic). Every other tune the truck feels like a dump truck it's so slow. With the Extreme X tune the truck feels great (ran 12.76).

The truck is not lifted, it's a regular cab 4x4, on stock wheels and tires, and stock 3.73 gears.

Any ideas I would love to hear them! Should I try KEM tuning instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcoupe View Post
Hey all, I'm really at a loss about why my mileage is so awful. I can't get over 16mpg on the freeway to save my LIFE . I've tried every single IDP tune, and obviously I stay out of throttle/ boost and don't go over 75. My mileage is hand calculated so I know it's correct. The lie-o-meter says I'm getting 24+mpg

With the Extreme X tune I am seeing 12.5mpg mixed, 10 mile freeway commute to work, and basic light in town driving (no crazy stop and go traffic). Every other tune the truck feels like a dump truck it's so slow. With the Extreme X tune the truck feels great (ran 12.76).

The truck is not lifted, it's a regular cab 4x4, on stock wheels and tires, and stock 3.73 gears.

Any ideas I would love to hear them! Should I try KEM tuning instead?
Try to keep your boost below 10 and my mileage seems to fall off about anything greater than 1850-1900rpm. Im on 3.55s. My extreme street got the best fuel mileage
Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

Sorry but I'm confused...
Are you hauling something?

If you are that concerned with gas mileage do what I do.
I also own a ford focus that is getting around 33 mpg.

Only drive the truck for hauling.

It's a heavy duty for hauling not for gas mileage.

This is not really to you but I read so many post about gas mileage on an one tone.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchretter View Post
Sorry but I'm confused...
Are you hauling something?

If you are that concerned with gas mileage do what I do.
I also own a ford focus that is getting around 33 mpg.

Only drive the truck for hauling.

It's a heavy duty for hauling not for gas mileage.

This is not really to you but I read so many post about gas mileage on an one tone.

And i read smart *** retorts like yours in all of the threads too... There is at least one of you anywhere anyone goes.. try this on: you're not smarter than everyone else..

There is nothing wrong with trying to maximize economy... Nothing.. it could be the difference in making 40% gross margin on a job, or 20%, depending on the job... But you don't need your rig for a job, youve got your wittle focus for that.... Others, myself included, want maximum power when needed,.and good economy to make as much working our trucks as possible..

Btw, read my fuely.. i do alright economy wise..
Old 09-27-2013, 05:43 AM

These things arent commuter cars, their mileage is going to suck unless you stricly build it or bought it to build it for mpg. Im getting 15mpg unloaded on 35s and a leveling kit and pretty happy with that. I didn't buy this truck to get good MPG, I have a commuter car for that.

You'll read about people getting good mpg, but most of the time they are running tiny wheels, the right gearing, and driving like 55mph. I ain't doing any of that, I bought my truck to enjoy it. I know it costs money to have what I want but it is what it is.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:15 AM

thanks for the replies all, I guess I'm just bummed that even though I have a regular cab on stock tires and I drive like a little old lady I'm still not seeing
the 18-20 mpg freeway that these guys here are claiming.

does anyone think it could be the IDP tune? I've always had an issue with the truck shifting into 5th on the IDP tune so I'm curious about trying another tuner anyways.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:18 AM

yes it could be the tunes, get and H&S or a spartan, world of differeance, or get the h&s with gear head tunes. tuning is the differance in 10mpg all day
Old 09-27-2013, 06:28 AM

When my warranty is up next month I'll be contacting Gearhead (actually spoke to them yesterday - seem like nice guys).

I bet your tune just isn't that great.

As for owning a second car - I can see the value in some circumstances. I have done it before and at the end of the day always wanted to drive my dually anyways so that's what I do. I really enjoy this truck and look forward to next month when it completely comes alive. Hell my brother in law is out of the country for 3 years and gave us his Camry for us to use at will. Haven't set foot in it in 3 months.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafordguy View Post
When my warranty is up next month I'll be contacting Gearhead (actually spoke to them yesterday - seem like nice guys).

I bet your tune just isn't that great.

As for owning a second car - I can see the value in some circumstances. I have done it before and at the end of the day always wanted to drive my dually anyways so that's what I do. I really enjoy this truck and look forward to next month when it completely comes alive. Hell my brother in law is out of the country for 3 years and gave us his Camry for us to use at will. Haven't set foot in it in 3 months.
Amen. I can't take my girlfriend to the drive-in in an econobox

I'm gonna try another tuner. I can always sell my SCT/ IDP setup. The trans has never shifted properly since installing the IDP anyways.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 AM

BTW guys where is the best place to buy the H&S tuner setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.