needed info, California Smog Performance questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
needed info, California Smog Performance questions

Howdy all, been out of the diesel scene for some time but want to purchase an 08 f250 soon. What can you all tell me about performance options and numbers for an 08 that has to remain smog legal. Tuners, intakes and such.

What numbers can be had with a good tuner, intake and smog intact?

What numbers with smog off?

Is there a delete kit that is easy to remove and install every time I have to smog it, and if so which ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 AM

I wouldn't ever put a programmer on a stock 6.4. It will regen more, and usually clog the dpf also. With an Intake, exhaust, and programmer. You can look at 550-570rwhp range. It isn't hard to return to stock with that setup but that's about as far as you would want to go if you have to go back to stock. How often would you have to do this?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 AM

thanks for the info, I would have to return to stock form, or at least the dpf system every two years. I would just do an exhaust with the dpf delete, CAI and programmer. So returning to stock would be just replacing the delete and programmer. What would that take to do, time and difficulty?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Basically if the smog tech can see any modifications, it's a fail. This includes not having a CARB approved air box. I have a 6637 intake and he was going to fail me for that, along with a few other things but I ended up being lucky

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by bdtribble; 09-25-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtribble View Post
Basically if the smog tech can see any modifications, it's a fail. This includes not having a CARB approved air box. I have a 6637 intake and he was going to fail me for that, along with a few other things but I ended up being lucky

I would just clarify that any "emission system" mods will get you a failing grade. They don't care about other mods. They will check for EGR valve, EGR cooler, cat/dpf, if any DTCs are present/check engine light is on, and will do a snap throttle smoke test.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:36 PM

are there any good tuners that use the dpf in place that gets good power. My point of this thread was to see how easy it was to swap exhaust, add a delete and tuner when it was time to smog
Old 09-26-2013, 05:49 AM

If your looking to do something like that then your best bet is to buy a whole new exhaust and keep the stock one. That way every other year you can swap the stock exhaust back on and go pass smog. I did kind of the same thing on my 2002 for a while then I decided to just take a breaker bar to the dpf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.