Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Thinking about an 08 F250 CCRB 4x4

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  ToughSuperDuty 
#1 ·
Sorry to beat a dead horse here guys but I'm thinking about trading my 2011 silverado 1500 CCSB 4x4 26xxx miles lifted with a full exhaust 4.88 gears cai and a tune for a completely stock 08 F250 CCSB with 64xxx miles on it good or bad idea? I mean I love my truck but I have always wanted a diesel

#3 ·
get an oasis report on the 08 from your local ford dealer and see if there are any maintenance records on it.

#10 ·
There has been a retune, radiator replaced, and wheel bearings and ball joints all done at the dealer it was bought from as well as minor maintenance done at the dealer it's got 65000 miles and looks very clean. As far as what I am gonna use it for is hauling my tractor and equipment my 1500 doesn't get it done in these hills of WV

I was a GM guy, still am- only fords I like is a Powerstroke... That being said, after making the switch to a turbo diesel I was hooked instantly! I'll never drive a gasser truck again lol.
Here's what you need to think when buying a diesel. Are you getting a warranty on it? The 6.4 & 6.7 requires cab off procedure for a few different repairs, and there's no way around it. So if no warranty then I'd buy a diesel truck that doesn't require the cab to be removed for any repairs so you can work on it yourself easily.

I had a 6.4 and it was a bad mf'er, but with these newer diesels it's almost more of a "when is something gunna chit on me" and not a "is it gunna chit on me" kinda thing. Just ask any diesel mechanic how happy they get when a 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 rolls into the shop. It's an easy $500-$1000 anytime somethin eff's up on em. 7.3's are easier to work on, parts are more abundant, and they're not at the mechanic shops as much as the newer ones are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks for the replys y'all I appreciate it and I was mainly looking for and 07 or older duramax or power stroke but couldn't find any around me so I'm limited to the 08 powerstroke or 11 duramax and I'm looking for an even trade truck for truck so I'm pretty limited

#4 ·
I was a GM guy, still am- only fords I like is a Powerstroke... That being said, after making the switch to a turbo diesel I was hooked instantly! I'll never drive a gasser truck again lol.
Here's what you need to think when buying a diesel. Are you getting a warranty on it? The 6.4 & 6.7 requires cab off procedure for a few different repairs, and there's no way around it. So if no warranty then I'd buy a diesel truck that doesn't require the cab to be removed for any repairs so you can work on it yourself easily.

I had a 6.4 and it was a bad mf'er, but with these newer diesels it's almost more of a "when is something gunna chit on me" and not a "is it gunna chit on me" kinda thing. Just ask any diesel mechanic how happy they get when a 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 rolls into the shop. It's an easy $500-$1000 anytime somethin eff's up on em. 7.3's are easier to work on, parts are more abundant, and they're not at the mechanic shops as much as the newer ones are.

#5 ·
hes right on that one.... some repairs can cost more than the whole vehicle haha

#6 ·
Lol that's why I went to a 7.3, and I feel so much better, more piece of mind with this 7.3. When you romp on a 6.4 or 6.7, your praying in the back of your mind that you don't hear a rod being thrown or something grinding ECT, and when your romping on a 7.3 all your brain is doing is listening to that badass diesel sound :nod: not a worry one bit!

#7 ·
Hey DieselOutlaw, I am in the same boat as you...Although I have an 06 F150 lifted 8" with 37's and 4.88 gears and am looking at switching to a diesel. With that said, I am looking at a 08 F350 Regular cab with 179,000 miles that is wicked clean and well taken care of (appearance wise). I havent looked at the Oasis report but the dealer has on record that it's a one-owner with all maintenence done at a Ford dealership.

Its listed for $17,000 and was wondering if I should stay away from a 6.4 with that high of miles. Any thoughts from anyone?? If it was used to tow, im afraid of how high those EGT's got and if its too late to EGR delete it and such.

#14 ·
They figured out a few things. Just don't get a common rail diesel and treat it like an old school diesel. I can't handle all the cab off repairs. I think in a few more years the emissions technology will advance enough to gain back the reliability of the older engines. The 6.4 has crazy power, but when something comes unbuttoned, it is frequently catastrophic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#15 ·
Ok thanks this will be my first diesel if I can even get ahold of one the first one I found was an 08 and got sold out from under me and now i found a 10 that I'm going to look at tomorrow and wanted to know if I should look at the same things I looked at in the 08 as far as problems go I want this truck to last a long time and it will be taken care of in my hands I'll keep the regular maintenance covered I just don't want to pick a truck that's been beat to death and then shined up to be sold I ya know what I mean

#17 ·
One more thing I forgot to mention. My OBS 7.3 is a better tow rig then my tuned and deleted 6.4.
I realize the 6.4 has much more horse power and torque, but it just didn't seem to be able to put it to the ground when I needed it. Have you ever heard the saying there is no replacement for displacement?

#20 ·
That's the issue. Unless you have a hookup at the dealership, you have to return the truck to stock. The DPF is a bit of a wrestling match, so I never relished the idea of putting it back on. So, if you decide to take a long trip, are you going to take the DPF with you? That's what messed with my head. We took a family trip to Tennessee (from Texas) and I didn't trust my $50k truck. I opted to take the grocery getter instead. 1 month later, I found metal shavings in my fuel filter. My maintenance was impeccable. I enjoyed that power... But price out a HPFP and/or injectors for the 6.4

It truly is an amazing engine, but the cost of operation and repair is tough.

#22 ·
The 6.4 is a great truck plain and simple but the "when it happens" talk is rediculous. Ford sold over 200K of these trucks between 08-10 and you guys make it sound like they're all lemons. Of those 200k a tiny fraction are members of forums and a small fraction of them have had issues. Thats certainly no reason to tell someone to pass up a perfectly good truck. If something breaks it won't be catastrophic every time like some of you say. Unfortunately yeah you got to take the cab off to do some repairs adding to the cost but it's something that has to be dealt with. It's certainly not the best reason to go out and buy an older inferior truck. Sure the 7.3 is reliable and you can work on it yourself but it's down on power lacks the amenities of the newer trucks and doesn't look near as good. I owned a 99 F350 drw cc 4x4 and it was a great truck. Would I trade my 08 for another one simply because my repair bill could possibly be high, absolutely not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.