Possible transmission issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible transmission issue

Hoping to get some ideas from you guys about an issue that may or not be a problem. I'm not even sure if it has anything to do with the transmission. I have a 2008 F250 with a Mini Max that I run on the mild street setting with S1L shift schedule with the exception of a few times I switched to the easy tunes to see if it still has the problem. Lately I've been noticing when I slow down the truck sounds like its growling or maybe grinding for 1 or 2 seconds then goes away, but it seems that the slower I come to a stop the longer it "grinds" and the faster I stop the shorter the grind. Its like it has a magic spot. It does not do it every time I slow down. It will do it slowing down from any speed. At first I thought it was the brakes but they are good. Next I did a little research but couldn't find anything like my issue but some guys suggested it might be the converter unlocking quickly but that don't explain why it does it say below 20 mph. The only other thing I can think of is that the seal at the back of the transfer case right before the driveshaft was replaced before I put the tuner on and I was wondering if that can be over torqued. I guess I will change the tranny fluid and see if that helps. The truck runs great and has no other problems. Thanks for the ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Can you go back to bone stock?

When was the last time you had the fluid changed?
Maybe change it and look for metal on the plug.

Hope it's nothing but wondering if you could be having torque converter problems.

Transmissions probably fine but I've heard of problems with the converter.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I thought you could only run SEZ on the street tunes......
Old 09-20-2013, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I could return it to stock but I was hoping diagnose the problem without putting all the junk back on it. I have loaded the easy tunes with the nonadjustable trans settings and I don't think it made the noise but honestly I didn't run it long enough to probably find out. Its been about 50,000 since the fluid was changed so that is going to be my next step. I checked the fluid when I started having this issue and other than rust from the dipstick tube, the fluid looked great and didn't smell burnt. The converter would be my guess to. Is there a way to test it?

Seafordguy, the easy tunes have non adjustable trans settings, but I run mine on the Mild set of tunes, the next set up that are adjustable.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The problem you are having/hearing is what I think is called torque converter chatter. It happens because of the lower shift points in the S1L trans file you are using. Basically from what I understand...the gears don't downshift quite soon enough which causes this "grinding" noise that you hear. I did some research on this and only thing I found out is that it doesn't really hurt the truck...it's just an annoyance. If you load the S1M trans file it doesn't do it anymore as gears shift at a higher speed/engine rpm.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tofer - that sounds about right. I tried the S1M and it didn't seem to do it but I only ran it for a little while because I like the shifting of the S1L. If it is hurting the truck I would obviously not run it though. I wonder if it is common with tuned trucks or just mine. You're right it is annoying!
Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ya S1M I found shifted way to hi...From what I found torque convertor chatter doesn't harm anything really, mind you I could be wrong. What I ended up doing is getting the MCC software and lowering the shift points a bit in the S!M file...or you could always raise the shift points in S1L to I guess..same dif. I'm now using gearhead tunes......his trans file is pretty sweet...load based shifting and everything.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was planning on getting MCC but was gonna hold out a little longer but this might make me bite the bullet and get it. Where did you read up on it? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I will probably get gearhead tunes in the future...I haven't heard anything but good reviews from them.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just read up on the h&s forums.....Gearhead tunes are amazing....little bit better mileage and like I said the trans tunes are the best I have tried so far.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think I'll be going with gearhead shortly just in case the chatter may be an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.