ECT Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT Help

Gents,

I have been scouring forums and Google looking for the issue I am having with my truck and I am hoping someone can provide some insight.

Sorry for the long post but I am going to try to answer the question I would ask.

I have maintenance my truck at half intervals of what ford calls for, oil and filter every 5k, and fuel filter every 10k. I did my transmission and coolant the first time at 30k, and replaced the coolant with the gold stuff at them time.
The Truck developed a radiator leak last fall. I believe I caught this early enough as the truck is parked on concrete when I noticed it; I stopped driving it and ordered parts. I replaced the radiator, and while I was at it, did a full erg delete, replaced the coolant with fleet service ELC, new thermostats, upgraded the thermostat hose to the white one and all was well.
This summer I started noticing that my Oil Temp was creeping up a bit, nothing too bad, 203 as a high on the interstate (Yes I am a gauge junky). So I went back to watching my spread, ECT to EOT, and they maintained no more than a 5* spread.
Over the summer this has progressively gotten worse with the same outside temps as before (80ís Ė 90ís). I still see the same spread but the temps kept ticking up, to where now running on level ground at 70mph I frequently see 206 EOT, with an ECT of 200 to 202, not towing. Not bad from what I have read, but what I am noticing is that ECT temps spike and drop with acceleration. I pull a ramp to get on the interstate and I will go from 194* ECT to say 200, and my oil temp will soon follow and climb to the 206 range and maintain. Getting off the interstate for example sitting at light waiting to turn all temps come back in line, 194 ECT and 199 EOT. As soon as I start to move again so do the temps. My concern is how fast the ECT temps are moving, I mean in a couple hundred feet, under normal acceleration it will go from *194 -196* to 200 or over? It shouldnít move this fast. On some cooler nights, my temps donít get as high, but I am still seeing the same ECT movement. So I parked it.
I donít get it? The truck runs great, I donít see evidence of oil in the coolant; I donít see evidence of puking, curious if it maybe a clogged oil cooler, head gaskets, water pump?
I am planning on changing the thermostats this weekend with fingers crossed it fixes this issue, figured itís the cheapest simplest place to start.

Thoughts, advise, punches to the gut (oil cooler)? 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 PM

In my opinion, your numbers aren't out of line. They're well within normal ranges, and the ECT and EOT aren't too far apart. I don't think your oil cooler has any issues.

I think your truck is just fine.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Yea it doesn't sound like your numbers are out of line. As long as the EOT is not getting way higher than the ECT your oil cooler is working fine. I also think your truck is just fine
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the responses! I feel a little better about the oil cooler, although the ECT jumping up so quickly still bothers me, but will see if changing it out this weekend has the desired effect.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I too agree...seems normal. My temps go a tick higher on the interstate too, but remember it's a diesel...the temps will be slightly elevated with steady throttle due to the combustion process and adding in low levels of boost on top of that. In town, mine rides at 192-194 ECT...on the interstate it will hit 198. A small block Chevy usually runs 195-210 for comparison sake...

Don't sweat it...
Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 PM

Your fine. Since I've switched to h&s my temps run a bit different but on cooler nights at a light 188 ect and on the interstate in the summer 198ect and 201 oil. Usually a 5-6 degree spread. I was paranoid for the longest time but now as long as my spread stays within 6 its all good. Mine cools down fast too if I pull off the interstate
Old 09-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Diesels make very little heat at idle so when you get off the interstate and the torque converter unlocks and/or there is no load on the motor the temps will drop because the thermostats cant predict the lower load and keep the temps at a steady level. My temps on the highway are usually 199 ect and 205 eot at 65. I have 4.30 gears and a lift so at 70 the boost,egt's, and temps go up. Once off the highway itll drop a few degrees on each its no big deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.