Filters??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Filters???

Just out of curiosity, which filters are the best? I understand a lot of you run Motorcraft filters, which if its good enough from the factory, its good enough forever. But i was wondering if anybody else may be running different filters, say Wix for example? what are the pros and cons? any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Definitely do a search on this, been covered multiple times. With that said, Motocraft and Racor(Motocraft just not a pretty box and packing) are the only 2 filters you should be running.

dieselfiltersonline.com , thank me later.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Also performance truck products.com offers free shipping on orders over $50.

Only use racor/motorcraft filter

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 AM

OEM only on this thing! The reason is that Ford will void your warranty if you use the wrong filter and have a fuel system issue. Secondly, they are really the only filters that can meet the needs of the engine.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM

If you want to make your life easy just go to dieselfiltersonline.com click on 6.4, click on oil fiters, click on Motorcraft. Then as your checking out it will automatically ask if you want to add Fuel Filters and you just click yes. Delivered to your door in a day or two.

Then go to Walmart and buy 4 gallons of Rotella T-6.

(P.S. - there is a video on the dieselfiltersonline website that shows why you want to use Motorcraft.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all the input fellas! Much appreciated!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Nothing wrong with using oem filters. My only issue is the videos on the diesel filter site don't pertain to the 6.4L. The second video try's to use the 6.4 when comparing oil filters but only shows ones that come with caps. I've never seen a place that sells an oil filter with an aftermarket cap for he 6.4. I know te 7.3s come with caps. Then they show a bulletin from ford about using aftermarket filters but again it only pertains to the 6.0. Is there a bulletin for the 6.4? If so why not post that in the video?

I got stuck using a fram tough guard oil filter and az fuel filters from autozone. After comparing them to the oem filters I took out they were identical. They shared the same measurements and looked exactly a like, the fuel filter even has the tiny air bleed hole in it that's found on the oem filter.

And they can't void your warranty for using aftermarket parts, it goes against the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act
"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."
Old 09-04-2013, 07:09 PM

they can void your warranty for using aftermarket parts that don't meet their specifications or that they can prove lead to a failure

it's just silly to save a buck

Quote:
"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."
actually they can

Last edited by ZMANN; 09-04-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM

but then they would have to provide those parts free of charge LOL
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
they can void your warranty for using aftermarket parts that don't meet their specifications or that they can prove lead to a failure

it's just silly to save a buck

actually they can
Now I'm only talking about filters here, not tuners or dpf deletes etc.

Just about every after market filter on the market "meets or exceeds oem specifications". If that wasn't the case they wouldn't be allowed to advertise it and it wouldn't be a part of the Magnuson moss act. The point is warranty providers in the past used to say your not using oem then we ain't fixing it. Then congress came along and said wait a minute there are people out there producing products equal to or better quality than yours and parts are still failing so no more using that excuse.

If you don't believe big companies with multi billion dollar r&d departments can produce a filter that's as good if not better than oem well then I don't know what to tell you. Plenty of folks denied HPFP replacements under warranty while using oem filters because they found rust in the bowl. Explain that?

Saving a buck??? Shoot I actually paid $10 bucks more from autozone than I could have buying from diesel filters

OEM here on out for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.