Wife traded Acura TL for 2008 F350 King Ranch Dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wife traded Acura TL for 2008 F350 King Ranch Dually

Love her to death... but this is all new to me. We bought a fifth wheel and she was determined to get a truck. She saw a King Ranch, fell in love with the interior and decided to get it.

While driving it, I noticed the regen never shut down once, was constant for a couple hundred miles. Started reading about EGR and DPF deletes and their effect on regen. Looked under the truck, and noticed previous owner already installed a dpf delete. Not sure if there is an EGR delete, however...

The used car dealer she bought it from wants to do us right and said his mechanic recommended a tuner, which he ordered (from Ebay). After reading about the dpf deletes on the forum, I asked him what model he ordered, he didn't know, but forwarded the info to me. It was a SCT 3015. I went to their website, and sure enough, it doesn't have dpf delete as an option on that model, but the 3250 does.

Dealer received the tuner on Thursday, I called him on Tuesday and he admits that the regen cycle still occurs, but he got the check engine light off. I informed him of above and he wasn't aware of it.

I don't know if I should order a tuner or not. I just want the dpf delete to be turned off in the computer rom. I'm not looking for any performance boost, just want the wife not to worry.

Any suggestions on how to fix this for her?
helluvaman is offline  
post #2 of 35 Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 365
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You need to get a dpf delete tuner ASAP or put a dpf delete back on it ASAP

I'm surprised te dealer sold you te truck with the emissions stuff removed
jgos929 is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 AM
Member
 
RHKA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
You need to get a dpf delete tuner ASAP or put a dpf delete back on it ASAP

I'm surprised te dealer sold you te truck with the emissions stuff removed
+1 ASAP is an under statement you needed either a tuner that supports a dpf delete, or put the dpf back on like YESTERDAY. It's bad enough that its been going into regens also, with the dpf off. And who knows how long it's been that way. I wouldn't recommend using it until you do so. Surprise your truck ain't limping yet.

2008 F-350 LARIAT CC LB DRW 4x4
6" FABTECH LIFT
22" AMERICAN FORCE RIMS, TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T LT325/50R22
SPARTAN TUNER(300 HP TUNE WHEN EMPTY)
5" DIAMOND EYE EXHAUST TURBO BACK
RHKA is offline  
post #4 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 03:00 AM
Member
 
Powerstroke Man 6.4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvaman View Post
Love her to death... but this is all new to me. We bought a fifth wheel and she was determined to get a truck. She saw a King Ranch, fell in love with the interior and decided to get it.

While driving it, I noticed the regen never shut down once, was constant for a couple hundred miles. Started reading about EGR and DPF deletes and their effect on regen. Looked under the truck, and noticed previous owner already installed a dpf delete. Not sure if there is an EGR delete, however...

The used car dealer she bought it from wants to do us right and said his mechanic recommended a tuner, which he ordered (from Ebay). After reading about the dpf deletes on the forum, I asked him what model he ordered, he didn't know, but forwarded the info to me. It was a SCT 3015. I went to their website, and sure enough, it doesn't have dpf delete as an option on that model, but the 3250 does.

Dealer received the tuner on Thursday, I called him on Tuesday and he admits that the regen cycle still occurs, but he got the check engine light off. I informed him of above and he wasn't aware of it.

I don't know if I should order a tuner or not. I just want the dpf delete to be turned off in the computer rom. I'm not looking for any performance boost, just want the wife not to worry.

Any suggestions on how to fix this for her?
Get a DPF Delete capable tuner right away EX Spartan , H&S , SCT then you'll be fine. If you don't want to order a tuner you'll have to put the stock exhaust and the DPF back on.

2012 Ford F-350 SRW 3.55 LS Lariat Blk Crew Cab Spartan 200 Hp Tune Warhammered 5 In MBRP EX AFe S 2 CAI
2008 Ford F-350 White XLT Crew Cab DRW
MPRP 4 IN Downpipe Back DPF Cat Delete Stright Pipe Spartan 300 LL Tune AFe ST 2 CAI MBRP 3 IN Intercooler Pipe. 4.30 LS
Late 1999 Ford F-250 XLT X-tra Cab White 7.3 SRW 6637 MBRP 4 IN Turbo Back Exhaust No Muffler DP-Tuner And PHP Hydra T-500 Swamps 160/100% Inj Airdog Swamps HVHF IDM GTP38R W WW2 305,000 MI 3.73 Non LS
Powerstroke Man 6.4 is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
For ammunition purposes when I speak with the dealer, what happens to the engine if it stays in regen mode? From what I understand, it is attempting to clean the filter by adding fuel to it and burning off the particulates. I see how it effects gas mileage, but how does it effect the engine?
helluvaman is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 05:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Groveport, Ohio
Posts: 714
Thanks: 30
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would assume it will get about 2mpg, and could potentially burn through the exhaust, yes seriously. As for the engine, I mean it's dumping fuel into the exhaust to "clean" it, I can't begin to imagine what that could potentially do to the engine.

Don't drive the truck anywhere until this is all corrected, make them give you a loaner or a rental for sure.

Actually, is it legal for the dealer to have sold that truck that way? I was under the impression that dealers couldn't really sell these or newer trucks without the emissions installed? May want to look into that.

2010 Ford F250 XLT ; 5" Diamond Eye DP Back ; 2" Rough Country Leveling Kit ; 18x9 XD Hoss's wrapped in 33 Mastercraft AXT's ; 4" Top Gun Customz Blocks ; SCT Livewire w/ Gearhead Custom Tunes : AFE Stage 2 CAI
madcat6183 is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there any particular reason why people buy their own tuners? Wouldn't the tuner be able to tune multiple vehicles? If I find a friend who has one, wouldn't they be able to plug it into my car, flash it and I can go driving off into the sunset, so-to-speak? I can't see a tuner identifying with one vehicle, unless the software needs a VIN or something to install...
helluvaman is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Teachagmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: a Liberty Free Zone
Posts: 4,636
Thanks: 274
Thanked 227 Times in 208 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by helluvaman View Post
Is there any particular reason why people buy their own tuners? Wouldn't the tuner be able to tune multiple vehicles? If I find a friend who has one, wouldn't they be able to plug it into my car, flash it and I can go driving off into the sunset, so-to-speak? I can't see a tuner identifying with one vehicle, unless the software needs a VIN or something to install...
Most flash tuners "marry" to the vehicle. If you want to use it on a different vehicle, you have to return the 1st one back to stock, then tune the next.. SCT only gives you 5(i think) unlocks before you have to send it back to pay for more.

The flash tuners store whatever program is in the ECM, then upload the new file.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Mike"Bustin' mine to feed yours"


The "Kerosene Queen"
2005 F-250 CCSB FX4 LARIAT 150K blue spring, coolant filter, DC Power alt. and

Teachagmech is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 06:00 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 403
Thanks: 44
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Take it back.

Take the truck back.
It is illegal for a dealership to sale a car that does not have all the proper emissions on the vehicle.
Find another Ford Diesel.

if you must keep it:

You need a SCT 3015R and I know someone who sells them for around $900 and she does great tunes.

SCT 3015 does not have the DPF delete or any other emissions option.

DPF delete tuners are becoming rarer each day as no new ones are being developed.

Do not drive the truck anymore until you have a DPF put on or a tuner to disable the regen.

Also have the oil changed by the dealership, it's probably flooding with fuel.
GSchretter is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Yeah Right
Posts: 209
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is like one of those WHOOPS moments for the dealer. Man, there are PLENTY of other 6.4s out there. I would skip this one and move on. If it takes another month or two, it's worth it. You don't want to buy something that was run that hot by every person who test drove it. Who knows if that dealer bought the thing from an auction. This truck could have been like that for months, being driven with the fuel dumping out overheating everything.

I would be extremely scared to buy that truck. The 6.4s are beasts, but their main failure points include the fuel system and issues surrounding the DPF. Move on man, but that's just my paranoia.
Expirobo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome