Potential new truck... Boosting issues?!? Input please! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Potential new truck... Boosting issues?!? Input please!

I have found a 2008 F250 CCSB XLT that I am interested in. A guy I have known for about a year is selling it because he is tired of messing with it.
Long story short, it isn't running right. Went and looked at it, it has sat for a couple weeks, it cranked right up just fine with no hesitation. You give it throttle and it won't boost over 5 psi. Truck isn't throwing any trouble codes, he says the trucks on its second turbo, and there were no codes the last time either.
His story is he was driving and it started "squalling" and vibration real bad and quit building boost. Pulled it in a driveway and looked under good, said nothing different stood out to him. Cranked it back and it did fine or about 2 miles, then started back worse than before. Drove it a mile to the house and parked it.
Said he had a mechanic come out and say he has heard it make that sound when the turbo was going out and also with internal problems.

Just trying to get some input, it's a sharp truck I wouldn't mind having, I just have to make sure I don't get in too deep. I can deal with a turbo replacement or something of that sort but I do not want to get into a big project or internals.

Ill try to post some pics of it, 2008 XLT ccsb, 150k miles, 20's with good 305 nitto terra grappler tires (60%), bed cover, it has spearco intercooler, sinister egr delete, dpf delete, 5" exhaust not installed, H&S Mini Max, ARP studs. Now a few thing that I have trouble swallowing, he says it has a spartan transmission, that he ordered a kit and paid 1700 to get installed (which I have never heard of), says its o-ringed head, and brass valve guides?
This is the exact message he sent me
Potential new truck... Boosting issues?!? Input please!-imageuploadedbyag-free1376887821.070360.jpg

I would be giving around $13,000 for the truck if I sell mine and decide to get this one. Potential new truck... Boosting issues?!? Input please!-imageuploadedbyag-free1376887634.425175.jpgPotential new truck... Boosting issues?!? Input please!-imageuploadedbyag-free1376887646.765488.jpgPotential new truck... Boosting issues?!? Input please!-imageuploadedbyag-free1376887660.097118.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Ask him to provide receipts for the work done.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 PM

He actually volunteered the receipts, saying he thought he had them all but he will have to find them. I told him if he could to let me know, we were mainly talking about the Trans when the receipts were brought up. So that would do alot of good to verify the brand and actuall purchase of it and installment.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I didn't know Spartan was in the trans building business.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLOSIV View Post
I didn't know Spartan was in the trans building business.
They aren't.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:40 AM

Yeah I asked if he meant spartan tuner and he said no! Just something's dont add up.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM

Good luck! If you can't easily diagnose it, I would drive it to a mechanic that can. Have them give you a quote on the repair cost and what is wrong. THEN make your decision. I've bought plenty of, "It'll only need a few dollars to get going". Ended up losing my a$$ on them.

What if it's internal? What if it has a cracked piston or busted valvetrain? Once you commit, you own it!

With all those upgrades, I'd find it hard to believe that it's something cheap to fix. He probably knows what's wrong or has a hunch and realizes he can't afford to spend that much. Anyone who has put that much into their truck shouldn't have a problem taking it to someone to fix a boost issue...unless it's wicked expensive.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expirobo View Post
Good luck! If you can't easily diagnose it, I would drive it to a mechanic that can. Have them give you a quote on the repair cost and what is wrong. THEN make your decision. I've bought plenty of, "It'll only need a few dollars to get going". Ended up losing my a$$ on them.

What if it's internal? What if it has a cracked piston or busted valvetrain? Once you commit, you own it!
That's what I afraid of. I can do internals but I dang sure dont want to. I would like for it to just be a turbo but who knows.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 AM

It drives right? Find a Non-FORD good diesel shop and have them take a look at it. Probably charge you 100-150 for a full pre-purchase inspection and analysis of the problem. Have them do the full inspection. Don't get caught up on just the engine. Could be a lot of other things that you're be distracted from.

When has he changed his fuel filters? How about draining the water separator?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Not sure about filter changes, or when the separator has been drained.
One local shop won't work on it with it having deletes, another want 150 to trouble shoot it.
Any ways to tell if it is the chargers for sure?
Or any other idea of what it could be?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.