Upcoming trip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upcoming trip

Looking for some advice, my wife and I are heading to Mukwonago, WI. from Kingwood, TX. in the next few weeks. My concerns are that I currently run the H&S mini on the mild settings not the HD I used to run with excellent mileage. This will be a long trip each way and wondering the best setting to have set. The last thing I want, and what worries me is having a problem with the truck on this trip and worry about costly repairs.

I have 123,000 miles on the truck currently and have been programmed and deleted for around 20,000 miles. The truck has been running great in all settings I have tried, and I do not ever really get on the throttle as my butt cringes due to expenses if it breaks.

Any suggestions would be welcolmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not familiar with H&S but as with any tuned truck you'll be fine in your daily driver tune or light tow tune(assuming the truck will be loaded with luggage in crap from the wife if yours is anything like mine, )

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 AM

As long as you are up on the maintenance I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
As long as you are up on the maintenance I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine
Can I run the HD tunes as that gets the best mileage? I keep up on the maintenance religiously, to many other stories scare me.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVJOE View Post
Can I run the HD tunes as that gets the best mileage? I keep up on the maintenance religiously, to many other stories scare me.
Oh yea you should be fine running the HD tunes
Old 08-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

trip

More to the point. If you have the HD tunes on, you need to pay attention to really steep hills, etc. That is where your motor will get the hard boost, fuel, etc.. If you are just cruzing, no problems because the motor is not gulping down lots of air and fuel. Things like towing with cruise control on a steep hill will allow harsh conditions on the HD tunes, but NO ONE will pass you! . Just pay attention to the conditions around you and you will not have problems. I leave mine turned up because that is where I get the best mileage. If I let my wife drive, I turn it down!
Old 08-16-2013, 02:22 PM

Great info, I won't be towing anything except luggage, of coarse the wife will have that area loaded down. Oh and I do all the driving, she won't drive the truck, it's too big.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM

Well we made the first leg of the trip today and went from Houston to Jacksonville, AR. Averaged 17mpg on the HD300 mild tune, going to Lincoln, IL tomorrow and going to run the Hot D and see if mileage gets better.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 PM

No matter how big of a tune you are running, you are not making more power than stock until a certain throttle point if you understand what I am saying? Just most of the time the higher hp tunes make the power more efficiently than the stock and lower tunes, hence the better fuel mileage. I have towed 15k with my 275 tune a number of times. You shouldn't be scared to daily drive your most powerful tune
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just for comparision, I did a 2400 mile trip back in August. I Ran through the different HD300 tunes & checked mileage on each during the trip. I got the best mileage on the stock file, but all tunes were within 1MPG of each other. Both times I ran the HD300 stock file my average speed was lower at between 55 & 65 MPH due to road conditions. Tow, Street & Performance tunes were all run on flat prairie highways at 65 to 75 MPH. I wouldn't say weather conditions played into any of the mileage figures, Athough there were times when head winds would have been in the 10 to 15 MPH range.
Truck is 2010 F350 with 3.55 gears & 37" tires. Engine RPM ran between about 1450 & 1700 depending on speed. Speedo is calibrated dead on according to test sections along the highways & about 3 different electronic speed read outs in construction zones. I thought I would see a little higher mileage figures on the flat Alberta Roads, but it is what it is. The only thing I really noticed between the tunes was my back bumper corner was black after running the Performance tune
All the tunes cruising @ 70 MPH ran 13 to 15% throttle, 25 to 30 % engine load, 9 to 12 lbs boost & 640F to 680F on the pre turbo pyro.
Here is what I got hand calculated to US Gallons.
HD300-Stock = Ran 476 miles = 16.39MPG
HD300-Tow = Ran 387 miles = 15.56MPG
HD300-Street= Ran 472 miles = 15.81MPG
HD300-Performance= Ran 325 miles= 15.53MPG
HD300-Stock= Ran 524 miles= 16.45MPG
I ran the last 200 miles home on the Tow tune again but haven't filled up to see what that figured at.
What kind of mileage results do you see with the Mild Group of tunes compared to the HD 300 tunes on your truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.