Looking at purchasing an 08, request input - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at purchasing an 08, request input

I had an 07 6.0/ for a few years and a divorce forced the sale of it. I'm now, finally in the position to step back into another diesel truck. I thought I wanted another 6.0 because I understand the weaknesses and what needs to be done to make them more reliable. Plus, many of them on the market already have the upgrades and the prices are pretty low.

I just recently found an 08 6.4 that I'm going to look at tomorrow. I've been researching this engine and some of the inherent weaknesses with it. The problem is that there is so much information on this forum that it is hard to keep it all straight.

I understand about the leaky radiator and cracked pistons. I also understand that on forums like this people congregate to complain and find solutions.

My question is that if I assume that this truck is stock, and it has 117k miles on it, what should I be looking for?
The VIN is 1FTWW31R68EB72135, so an oasis report would be nice if someone could run that.

Is there a way I can tell if certain bulletproofing upgrades have been done? Or how can I tell if it is showing symptoms of some of the major problems?

I appreciate your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

One thing to look for is engine hours compared to miles. It tells you if the truck has done alot of idling or slow speed driving which are both hard on the regen process.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

High millage trucks are better then low millage trucks. Stock these things pretty well have to be highway driven, due the regen process. Like mentioned check the hrs compared to miles. Do coolant test, drain fuel filter to see how much crud is in it, check fluids. Their tough truck just like anything 1 bad report goes a lot further then 100 good reviews.

3 grand for basic mods and do head gaskets when they go. Other then that the trucks pretty well bullet proof.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I purchased the truck. It has 118k miles and I paid $25,5000. I think it was a decent price.
A local Ford dealership was selling it so I had them pull the OASIS report and carfax.
The reports showed that it had all of it's regular services performed at local Ford dealers.
I'll be removing the EGR, DPF/CAT as soon as I understand the tuner situation. Having a hard time wrapping my head around 1600 for a tuner with custom tunes.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 AM

When looking at the engine hours,what is a good hour to miles ratio?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That $1600 goes so far you won`t believe it, money well spent if you are talking H&S , cai and delete pipes that is my experience. congrats on the new ride!!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM

So the engine hours are 3075, and with 118k miles that works out to 38.3 miles per hour. I interpret this to mean that the truck was probably driven mostly out of town on hwys. The service records show it was driven over 30k miles for the first few years and there are holes in the bed for 5th wheel hitch. I'll interpret all of this to mean it was used to tow in it's previous life and probably good news.

I understand the improvements a tuner brings. It's just an expensive pill to swallow. I'll do it though. The hard part now is researching the options and understand all the choices. There is so much info on this site it is daunting and confusing at times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.