Sell 7.3 for 6.4? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sell 7.3 for 6.4?

Okay, I have a 2000 7.3 6spd 6.5" lift 37" toyo mts.
I'm looking at a 2008 350 king ranch with the quad captain seats.
Will I be happy with the 6.4 or will I regret it after.?
Thanks ahead for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The seven three has 310 kms and 130 kms on the 6.4
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Yeah might be time to upgrade, but don't rush getting into a 6.4 your going to have to make sure what ever your looking at is worth the investment. First things first your going to have to make sure that what your looking at has been properly maintained(oil changed at least every 5k, coolants been flushed at least once by 80k) if it hasn't been serviced regularly turn around and walk away, because if you don't your going to be in a world of hurt. You should probably invest in a 4 pack of coolant testing strips, test the coolant and if the nitrates fall below 300 ppm don't even waist your time. Goodluck
Old 08-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just went through the same thing.

My daily driver was a 03 supercab shortbox 4x4 f250 with the 7.3. Stock except the previous owner had a programmer on it, im unsure of what was all changed, but things like the top speed were altered (I could go much faster then the factory cut off)Awesome truck, the reliability of it, unspeakable, really really damn good truck. The flaws, supercab and I needed a crew cab, and 340,000kms on the odo.

So I bought a 2009 f350 lariat crew cab shortbox 4x4 with 150,000kms on it for a pretty smoking deal. First things I have done is spartan tuned it, deleted the dpf and hollowed the cat. I have a s&b cold air intake to install yet, and still debating on the egr delete.

The 09 is definately nicer to drive, it rides nicer, turns sharper, and stock it had better characteristics on the highway. I didnt find it as nice to drive around in the city though, regarding where the engine made its power compared to the 7.3. Seemed like my 7.3 truck you would step on the pedal and the truck was gone instantly, where the 6.4 took its time a little.

After I deleted and tuned it has changed the 6.4 completely, and Im only running the 210 tow tune as my daily driver tune.

Hindsight, I wish I would have bought a crewcab 7.3 truck as the truck has been a great truck, and i wouldnt have replaced it with a newer version until it was really miled out, or super rusted out. I still have my 03 as im having a tough time getting rid of a truck that has been so good to me, but the time is coming soon.

In your case, I would probably take the plunge to a 6.4 truck, but keep in mind there are things ya will probably have to do to it, to get it close to the reliability of the 7.3 truck. The perks of that, is you have one hell of a comfortable riding truck, that is like a rocket on the streets.

Im not really regretting my 6.4 purchase yet, seems like it will be a decent truck, and the previous owner didnt have issues with it at all either.

Hope that somewhat helps.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went from a 7.3 to a 6.4 and the only thing I miss is the MPGs. In the 7.3 I was getting 23 on the highway, 6.4 is closer to 16 if I really baby it and stay out of traffic. Other than that, you won't regret it!
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM

I miss the easier maintenance and better mileage.

But this 6.4 is as quiet as my wife's Tahoe and quick.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
same boat with went from the 7.3 in my sig to an 08 250 king ranch and man i love it! rides way better, actually steers no more listeing to power steering pump. and i can have a conversation outside the truck without walking 15 yrds away...haha only down side is mpg, the power amazing i pull landscape trailers and dump trailers all the time cant even tell they are back there. other bad side for me at least, i have a mini maxx, and an exhuast just sitting in the garage ready to go on but ive got 6 more months of warrenty left..anyway like one of the other members said, if it has not been taken care of dont even entertain the idea.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I came from a 6.0, love my 6.4, but after my third party warranty is over I'll probably be moving into a 6.7 cummins. Just take a look under the hood and look at the room and the ease of performing any engine work (just like your 7.3). I like the aesthetics of the fords much better, but not the bill for any engine repairs or anything under the hood because you gotta pull the cab for most repairs. Granted my 6.4 has been good to me so far- fingers crossed and wood knocked!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4, 7.3, buying a new diesel, sell, trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.