Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Just Bought a 6.4 Having Problems Already

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  theplumbingmedic 
#1 ·
I recently just bought an 08 f350 crew cab with the 6.4 with 136000 miles on it. The check engine light is on with 2 codes P2452 and P2002. The truck is completely stock besides a DPF back dual exhaust. The truck is getting 10.7 mpg on the gauge in the truck although I have not hand calculated. The white smoke starts pouring out after driving for about 10 minutes, mostly on decal or at a stop. I mean pouring out, its actually embarrassing. I have noticed that the truck will say "cleaning exhaust Filter" but even after driving all highway for 50+ miles it will still do the same thing and blow the white smoke. I have also noticed that it is using some coolant from what ive read on here could be a bad egr. I also notice the turbo seems to "fart" white I let of the accelerator. Basically I want this white smoke to stop and will do whatever I have to do, i.e., DPF Delete EGR Delete Tuner. I am looking for some input for a fix. or any possible problems it may have. I am in MA and if anyone knows a shop around here that would be great too. Thanks! I wish this 6.4 was as dependable as my 7.3!

I posted this under the Problems Tab but havent got any feedback, Sorry to repost here just think maybe i can get some answers. Thanks!

#2 ·
Going by the old rule of blue smoke being oil, black smoke being fuel, and white smoke is usually water. Hopefully I am wrong but I have good news and bad news- good news is your EGR is probably fine and you'll find the bad news when you find where coolant is being introduced to the combustion cycle...

#3 ·
I also just checked my oil and it is registering on the metal part of the dipstick! Im hoping I didnt just buy someones nightmare :doh:

#4 ·
Sounds like could be cavitation. When was the oil last changed. Might just be fuel added from the regen if oil hasn't been changed for a while. Is the oil milky at all or smell like diesel?

#5 ·
The oil only has about 700 miles on it, it is not milky and does smell like diesel

#6 ·
If it does smell like diesel, then diesel is going into your oil due to the regen process.

P2452 - Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor A Circuit

Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the rationality of the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor during idle and part load operating conditions. The test fails when the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor signal value at idle is less than 0.15 kPa (0.022 psi). The test also fails when the diesel particulate filter pressure sensor signal value at part load is less than a minimum value or greater than a maximum value. These minimum and maximum values are based on the volume of exhaust.

Possible Causes: Diesel particulate filter pressure sensor connecting hose is loose, cracked, or missing
Diesel particulate filter pressure sensor connecting hose port is cracked or broken
Excessive amount of soot or ash in the diesel particulate filter
Damaged diesel particulate filter pressure sensor.

P2002- Diesel Particulate filter efficiency below threshhold.

Could be a few different things. But i would get under the truck and look at the DPF pressure sensor. Its the one where it attaches the a bracket and has a hose running off of it. The ther 3 on the DPF are your pyrometers.

If it was me, and I do live in MA...i would do a DPF/DOC delete and go with a Spartan programmer. I am currently running a H&S Mini Maxx Race version and have to replace the exhaust and put back on the original to pass inspection.

#7 ·
Curious why you would recommend a spartan over H&S are you unhappy with it or just easier to get a spartan now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.