Truck Opinion/ Oasis Report? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Truck Opinion/ Oasis Report?

Hey guys I've been lurking around here for over a year now trying soak up as much knowledge as I can. I've learned a lot about these great 6.4s an now it's almost time I pull the trigger. What do you guys think about this truck AutoTrader.com ? What should I look at specifically when I go check it out and test drive it?

Also can someone run an Oasis report on the VIN 1FTSW21RX8EA13000. Or if I can I'm not sure how?

I love the black interior. Can't wait for a tuner exhaust and 35's. Haha you guys have me addicted.

Thanks a lot can't wait to hear your guys opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well if you've been on here that long you'll know what to look for. But here's my list:

-Hard lock the steering wheel left and right while making slow turns. Listen for clunking, squeeking, etc.
-Run the truck hard up some hills and check the coolant levels, smoke in the exhaust, etc.
-Check the low pressure fuel pump under the driver door for leaks.
-Find out when the last fuel filter change was. Any more than 10k and I'd leave it in the dust.
-Check leaks with flashlight. Crawl under the truck and lay there. Spend a few minutes with the flashlight on everything.
-Listen to the turbos while driving. Turn off the ac and stereo. Tell the seller to shhhhhhh and listen really well.
-Check the tranny slip by giving a little throttle to 1000 rpm and shift into gear from neutral. Make sure there's no flare.
-Smell the tranny fluid. If it's burnt, walk away.
-Pull the OASIS and make sure all warranty repair was done.
-Open and close every door really well.
-Check functions of both power seats for full lock forward to back.
-Pull down the rear seats and see if there is a jack and tire iron.
-Roll all the windows up and down individually and listen for screeching or bad motors.
-Check 4 wheel drive. Lights on the dash should come on indicating it's working. Then drive and listen for problems.
-If you check the engine oil, it will most likely be black even if it only has 100 miles on it.

Get the thing really hot. Drive it hard and then pull into a gas station, pop the hood and listen. Make sure there's no coolant leaks. Make sure the pulleys aren't squeaking. Check the belts.

Oh and buy a scangauge BEFORE you purchase. Hook it up and setup the coolant and oil temp monitors. Make sure when you're running hard that the oil is not more than 5-10 degrees above the coolant. Make sure both return down to 185-195 (depending on the thermostat in it) in a reasonably quick period. Oil will take longer. If the delta is high and doesn't drop quick, walk!

God I could go on forever.

Last edited by Expirobo; 08-08-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM

Looks like its a bit over priced to me. I'd try to talk them down to $28k
Old 08-08-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expirobo View Post
Well if you've been on here that long you'll know what to look for. But here's my list:

-Hard lock the steering wheel left and right while making slow turns. Listen for clunking, squeeking, etc.
-Run the truck hard up some hills and check the coolant levels, smoke in the exhaust, etc.
-Check the low pressure fuel pump under the driver door for leaks.
-Find out when the last fuel filter change was. Any more than 10k and I'd leave it in the dust.
-Check leaks with flashlight. Crawl under the truck and lay there. Spend a few minutes with the flashlight on everything.
-Listen to the turbos while driving. Turn off the ac and stereo. Tell the seller to shhhhhhh and listen really well.
-Check the tranny slip by giving a little throttle to 1000 rpm and shift into gear from neutral. Make sure there's no flare.
-Smell the tranny fluid. If it's burnt, walk away.
-Pull the OASIS and make sure all warranty repair was done.
-Open and close every door really well.
-Check functions of both power seats for full lock forward to back.
-Pull down the rear seats and see if there is a jack and tire iron.
-Roll all the windows up and down individually and listen for screeching or bad motors.
-Check 4 wheel drive. Lights on the dash should come on indicating it's working. Then drive and listen for problems.
-If you check the engine oil, it will most likely be black even if it only has 100 miles on it.

Get the thing really hot. Drive it hard and then pull into a gas station, pop the hood and listen. Make sure there's no coolant leaks. Make sure the pulleys aren't squeaking. Check the belts.

Oh and buy a scangauge BEFORE you purchase. Hook it up and setup the coolant and oil temp monitors. Make sure when you're running hard that the oil is not more than 5-10 degrees above the coolant. Make sure both return down to 185-195 (depending on the thermostat in it) in a reasonably quick period. Oil will take longer. If the delta is high and doesn't drop quick, walk!

God I could go on forever.
Holy Crap ^^^.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:20 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thanks a lot guys.

Expirobo- thank you there are a few of those I didn't even think of. Awesome list
Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 AM

Expirobo provided some great stuff there.

I'll just add....From previous experiences.

Make sure you can see the truck in direct sunlight. Get a good idea of what the paint looks like. Check between each body panel for misalignment. Could indicate of a crash or previous repair. You could go as far as checking the bumper brackets to see if they have been crushed or have abnormal rust buildup is seen.

If there is a plastic bed cover, see if you can look underneath it. Some owners/dealerships will install one to hide all the dings and scratches which is a good indicator of usage and potential abuse.

Coolant strips. Go to Napa and by some strips and test the coolant for proper nitrate levels. They should be for Nitrates and not just PH. There is a ton of info about that stuff on this site. Plus ford has diesel care documentation discussing nitrates as well. Check around the degas for blown coolant. Any white residue could be a potential sign of issues.

New tires? May indicate an issue with the suspension the previous owner/dealership is hiding. So spend some time looking there as well.

Is it coming with a tuner? If so, truck could have been ragged on. If not, you may want to express concern that it would be wise to have a dealer flash to the latest version as it is an UNKNOWN.

Check to see if Emissions equipment is there. This can be a big gotcha with the tuner/ no tuner question. Could also land you in trouble depending on where you are at and your local laws.

If they will let you...pull the cap to the primary fuel filter (on top of motor), look for contamination. These fuel systems are expensive repairs.

Check the wire harness. Nothing worse than taking over someones previous toy that has spliced every wire possible. If it isn't clean I would personally walk away.

If that Scangauge has KOEO and KOER tests, run them. Not as in depth as other tools but at lease would provide some insight.

You can call any ford dealer and talk to a service writer about obtaining an Oasis report.

Last edited by DisposableHero; 08-09-2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: One more.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 AM

Yes, a big thing is check the fuel bowl filter. It's tight and you'll need your tools. The socket is rather large, so you may not have that size. I pulled mine day after I bought it and they were very black. Freaked me out.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flashover1969
Yeah the price is a little high. Mine is a year newer and has 49k on it and it books out @ 30k. 28k is about the right price for that truck unless it has a lot of extra goodies that aren't listed in that ad.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought an '04 with 580k+ miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.