Should I get bigger tires? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I get bigger tires?

I know this has probably been beat to death, but I can't find the threads to prove it, so here goes. I need new tires, soon, and I was considering putting slightly larger ones on, because even though these tires are large they still look small on my truck. And they're completely worn out, so I need to replace them very soon. Here's my situation:

I have an 08 F350 CCLB with stock 18" wheels, standard 275/70-18 tires, and no lift or levelling kit. I have a Mini Maxx, and I'll be buying Gearhead tunes as soon as I have my MCC program figured out. I don't have studs or a built transmission, although I figure I'll probably need both someday. I have stock suspension and steering components.

I like to run my truck hard sometimes, because it's really fast, and I like that.
I also tow often, because that's what these trucks are made for.

I don't want to do anything that's going to sacrifice my towing ability. I also don't want to do anything that will necessitate upgrading suspension or steering components, and I'd prefer not to do a lift or level (although I'm not completely opposed to a levelling kit if I need to). I don't want to make my mileage much, if any, worse. I don't want to end up with death wobble or anything else.

I've been looking primarily at stock size Toyo Open Country A/T II's until today, when I started considering larger tires. What should I look for if I want a slightly larger tire that wouldn't have a negative impact on my truck?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 11:24 AM

295/70R18 is perfect IMO.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM

305/75/18s look nice. Fill out the big wheel wells.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:02 PM

I was running BFG AT 305x60x18 and they looked awesome with some aggressive character. I now run Michelins AT 2 275x70x18. Problems with these trucks is the rubber they will burn with an aggressive style, especially in the Houston heat. Like the looks of the BFG AT, just don't like the wear and cost.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
I don't want to do anything that's going to sacrifice my towing ability. I also don't want to do anything that will necessitate upgrading suspension or steering components, and I'd prefer not to do a lift or level (although I'm not completely opposed to a levelling kit if I need to). I don't want to make my mileage much, if any, worse. I don't want to end up with death wobble or anything else.

I've been looking primarily at stock size Toyo Open Country A/T II's until today, when I started considering larger tires. What should I look for if I want a slightly larger tire that wouldn't have a negative impact on my truck?

Thanks for the help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble maker View Post
305/75/18s look nice. Fill out the big wheel wells.
36x12.5 will have a huge impact on his truck...
Old 08-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Sorry I meant 305/70/18s Which are just shy of a 35.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Buying tires is such a pain!

One of the tire dealers I talked to said the 18" rims were holding me back in regards to my choices of tire size. Should I consider getting some 20" wheels, or is that not worth it? It looks like the load rating is lower on 20" tires, so I'm thinking that's a bad idea. I'm starting to think that maybe sticking with the stock size will be the best thing for me, but I don't know.

This particular dealer doesn't carry the Toyo's I was looking at, but they can get them if I really really want them. He suggested Hankook Dynapro ATM's in 275/70-18 for $900, mounted and balanced, which doesn't seem bad.

Why is this so hard?!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Would anybody happen to have pics or a link to where these tires can be bought at?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 PM

I have 275/70R18 on my truck. I bought a set of 285/75R18 in the Toyo MTs and they were nice and filled out the wheel well. No rubbing or anything, but it did lug the truck down slightly and dropped my fuel mileage a mile or two.

They were heavy (70lbs each tire, at 35" X11.5) so I've gone back to my original size and I'll be staying there I think. My next tires will probably be the Cooper ST Maxx in the 275/70 R18.

The 275s are smaller looking but I'm not to worried about looks as I am with fuel mileage and not lugging down my truck with the 3.73 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.