Temp issues while towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 11:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Temp issues while towing

Hey everyone, I am at a little bit if a loss so I thought I would throw this to the forums.

I have an '08 F250 6.4 Crew Cab 4x4, DPF deleted, spartan tuned 125 hp early lock. When hauling my RV (bumper pull 10,500 GVWR) this past week, I was seeing EOT and ECT of 235 or better on hills and the truck seemed to be struggling. At the same time boost was 30 - 40 psi constantly but would go back to between 10 -20 psi on flat ground.

Does this sound normal? I am mildly concerned about the temps since the dash needles never moved off center. I have always felt I had plenty of truck for this rig, I hope I'm not wrong.

I have rear airbags to help with the rear sag once hooked up to the RV, should I look at a different rear end gear, I am running the stock gear.

Any input would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 12:07 PM

I just pulled mine this past weekend same weight of trailer and I also have the Spartan but I use the 210 tow performance tune early lockup and never got over 210 on eot or ect. My two cents is try the tow tune.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How big of hills?

If you can see the pic in my sig I've pulled it all over the country. My coolant temps have got to 225 on some hills when I'm really wailing on it and my boost has got to 30+ psi

I haven't looked at oil temps. I have a trip this weekend, I'll try to remember to turn that monitor on this weekend.

I run the mild tune on the h&s.

If the hills are decent I would say that your temps aren't too out of control, but if they aren't that big...there might be another issue based on the numbers I've seen.

mac 'usually grossed out about 26k' gyvr
Old 07-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had my truck overheat with my 38' gooseneck in the Texas hill country, which is very hilly at relatively low speeds, some stop and go ect. I'm not sure what it weighed, 12K, 14K maby more. And it was about 102F out. I had to pull over and let it cool off, them I drove easier and didn't have anymore trouble.

I would say that seems a bit warm but it depends how you were driving it, how bad were the hills and how hot it was outside. Also you said your truck was struggling, I would say it shouldn't be, but it really depends on your definition of struggling.

The boost seems about right. What oil and coolant temps do you usually see, just driving around without a trailer?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 PM

Typical oil and coolant temps are right around 200, no more than 205. Hills were fairly good grade, 2.5% maybe.

08KingRanch350 : I will try the tow tune. Was it stock on your spartan or did you download it from somewhere?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Water temp

I pulled 5 ton the other day at 70 in 90 degree temp and the gauge diden't move. I really need to put some aftermarket gauges on this thing.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 PM

I pull a 8k bumper tow camper and pulled it up some 8% grades last weekend and didn't see my dash gauges move but my ect climbed up to 220 and my eot climbed to 230 or so. I have an H&S black maxx with gearhead tunes and I run it on no power which is 50hp. Ford says that is ok but I also would like it to stay cooler

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-01-2013, 04:29 AM

your temps are totally ok,but tow tune is what you will be safe with....you don't want your temps to go over 235, which they will on steeper terrain if you don't use the tow tune.....just remember this is severe service...you need to change oil at 5k...you didn't give egt's....things get real hot if not in tow tunes.

Last edited by muntu; 08-01-2013 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:38 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I believe that ford says oil temps around 240* are the limit for the 6.4...not the metal parts, they can handle much higher, but the oil will break down and offer less and less protection...240* is a pretty safe estimate of a max oil temp. My truck has hit 220-225 pulling another crewcab truck on my big flat 5er doing 70-75 on a 100* day up a steep grade with a really annoying headwind...

EDIT: 220-225*F oil temp, my coolant was at 203*F

Last edited by rt_hawk; 08-04-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.