New guy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New guy

I just picked up an 08 F250 Lariat with 77K on it last week and I love it. Im coming from a 2012 RAM and there really is no comparison what so ever. I needed a bigger truck to haul a new toy hauler Im about to get and the Ram wasn't going to cut it. Anyways been a member here for a while I used to have a 99 F350.

As far as I can tell it's bone stock so naturally I want to change some things. First off a tuner. The bottom line is I'm not paying $1200+ for a tuner so what are my other options? I got an extended warranty through Ford so the DPF and EGR stays for now. Most of what I'll be doing is towing and the occasional trip to get muddy that's it. Im just looking for a little extra power so what do you recommend? I know everyone knocks canned tunes but I'm only looking for like 40hp.

Second is exhaust. Without a DPF delete is exhaust even going to make a difference?

Third is Intake. I was going to go with a simple drop in filter. From what I've read on here that should be fine for what I'm wanting to do with the truck.

In the next two weeks I plan to flush the coolant, change my fuel filters and change the oil. Dealer said they did it but I always feel better knowing I did it instead. Also it will be getting some interior upgrades also. I read the F250 is the most stolen vehicle in the US so an alarm is a must. It needs some window tint on the front bad so that will be getting done this weekend. My wifes dad is a rep for Kenwood so he's getting me the DDX790 7" display head unit for practically nothing. I have two boys so an overhead dvd player is on the list. I also have a JL Audio 600/1 amp and a 13TW5 woofer I want to get put in. After researching here I came across a fella that makes custom boxes for that size speaker that goes behind the seat so I'll be ordering one of those soon. That's about it for now. Should be a pretty nice truck when I get done with it lol!

Great forum and thanks for any help.

Last edited by jgos929; 07-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Awesome, glad your back in a powerstroke. Nice looking rig.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 AM

Nice truck! I traded my Ram for an 08 Lariat too a few months ago.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM

Sharp truck!!!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
I just picked up an 08 F250 Lariat with 77K on it last week and I love it. Im coming from a 2012 RAM and there really is no comparison what so ever. I needed a bigger truck to haul a new toy hauler Im about to get and the Ram wasn't going to cut it. Anyways been a member here for a while I used to have a 99 F350.

As far as I can tell it's bone stock so naturally I want to change some things. First off a tuner. The bottom line is I'm not paying $1200+ for a tuner so what are my other options? I got an extended warranty through Ford so the DPF and EGR stays for now. Most of what I'll be doing is towing and the occasional trip to get muddy that's it. Im just looking for a little extra power so what do you recommend? I know everyone knocks canned tunes but I'm only looking for like 40hp.

Second is exhaust. Without a DPF delete is exhaust even going to make a difference?

Third is Intake. I was going to go with a simple drop in filter. From what I've read on here that should be fine for what I'm wanting to do with the truck.

In the next two weeks I plan to flush the coolant, change my fuel filters and change the oil. Dealer said they did it but I always feel better knowing I did it instead. Also it will be getting some interior upgrades also. I read the F250 is the most stolen vehicle in the US so an alarm is a must. It needs some window tint on the front bad so that will be getting done this weekend. My wifes dad is a rep for Kenwood so he's getting me the DDX790 7" display head unit for practically nothing. I have two boys so an overhead dvd player is on the list. I also have a JL Audio 600/1 amp and a 13TW5 woofer I want to get put in. After researching here I came across a fella that makes custom boxes for that size speaker that goes behind the seat so I'll be ordering one of those soon. That's about it for now. Should be a pretty nice truck when I get done with it lol!

Great forum and thanks for any help.

Good looking truck! as far as your mod questions I suggest looking at the General 6.4 Modifications sticky.

1. I personally will never own a 6.4 with a DPF or EGR intact. It just kills the motor over time. The longer they stay on the more your engine hates life (not saying there aren't people with high miles all stock, just saying there are fewer of them and there is a much much higher chance of expensive repair bills with those paper weights still on). That being said, I wouldn't add a tuner (or spend the money on a DPF-on tuner). Save your money now for when you want to do a DPF-off tuner.

2. A DPF back exhaust yields no benefit. Just looks. Won't sound different, won't perform different. The DPF is a huge restriction. Think about if you hook 2 straws together and try to blow out thru them. Now change the second straw for a larger dia straw, you are still blowing thru a restriction, so nothing changes.

3. As far as the intake, don't worry about changing it in stock form. You won't gain anything. The stock filter actually flows pretty well and filters well. Until you start adding power (i.e. add more than about 200 HP, you can run a stock intake).

And as always with all 6.4s... maintenance, maintenance, maintenance....
Old 08-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Congrats, you found a great truck. I almost bought a truck exactly like yours, lariat and all, but it was a metal flake brown...even had sunroof and the family entertainment package with DVD player to boot! I would have bought it but they said my 99 was only worth $4k...I got 10k in trade in at a place in Iowa, they sold my 99 7.3 the first day they had it on the lot for $14k....anyway, good advice from the above members, drain that HMFC monthly and stick to a maintenance plan without deviation, (oil-5k, fuel filters 10-15k max...etc) oh and the dpf/doc must go, egr maybe ok disabled, but its best if its gone... Enjoy your lariat! Very nice truck....
Old 08-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the compliments and the advice. The truck is Ford certified so its under warranty for another year and I got an extended warranty that's good to 125K miles. With that I'm stuck with the dpf and egr for atleast another year. The extended warranty I can still cancel and use that money for the tuner and deletes but I like having an extended warranty I've needed them before and it helps me sleep better at night. So there is my situation

I plan to stay on top of the maintenance for sure. I changed my fuel filters this weekend damn what a messy job that was lol. The one on the frame was black as night and the one up top was really nasty to. I'm gonna test the coolant this week when my strips show up so I know what kind of shape its in then decide where to go from there. Since I'm under warranty I think I might just do a simple distiller water flush and refill with Gold. I imagine when the dealer did an oil change they filled it with Dino so this weekend I'm gonna swap it out to T6. All that should get me on a fresh maintenance schedule going forward.

The alarm, stereo, overhead monitor etc is being installed this weekend so I'm excited about that. Ill keep ya posted with updates.

Thanks again guys
Old 08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do so search`s on that dpf system and see how well you sleep.I fought with myself for months about the warranty thing and after reading on here how many stock claims were denied for one thing or another, and people telling my wife the truck was on fire during regen`s at stop lights, i took the leap at 17,000 and haven`t looked back.What ever you decide good luck.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Check that out- that's what you egr system is doing to the inside of your intake... Just imagine how that'll look after 100k miles?!

Delete delete delete delete!!!

New guy-imageuploadedbyautoguide1375751781.942092.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-05-2013, 06:41 PM

What did you end up paying for your truck? If you dont mind me asking Im going to be in the market soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.