Rattle from rear - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rattle from rear

*warning* Could be a bit long to explain in full****

May be a minor thing to some but its been driving me ****ing bananas for a year.
Last spring I put on my PMF lift, including 8" traction blocks/bars. When I installed, my leaf spring center bolts fell through and into the big blocks!! Lol

I mavgiver'd up a temp solution (rebar) til I was able to get new bolts. (couple days)
I never had C-clamps so when I went to put in the new center bolts my leafs spread apart, no big deal got bolts through lined up and set in the alignment hole in block..this is where I frigged up...I then tightened while weight of truck on leafs/block etc. These bolts are soft and not gonna take well to too much torqing.
I got them as tight as I can but not sure how well and then stripped the threads off bolt so nut just free spun... I had top plate torqed down pretty tight, everything else tight.
Fast forward to this weekend. New bolts. Installed and tightened while removed from blocks. Top plates torqed to 100ft/lbs.

I get a very annoying jingle from the rear end of truck after bumps/potholes etc and seems to be on the rebound.

Ive tried damn near everything. Ive been under truck numerous times with rubber mallet, ive had 3-5000lbs of gravel in the box thinking weight might change it, no spare tire under box. I 1" ratchet strapped exhaust in a few places to see if any change...nope. Doesnt change when brake applied. No hitch in the receiver, exhaust hangers all in place and in good shape..same for shocks (which are new too). Fuel tank straps solid/good shape. Trying to think what else.... Edit: Tailgate seems solid, side steps are noise free...
I cant replicate the sound any way either.... jumping on rear bumper, smacking everything with mallet.

Im at a loss.....dont know what else to do/try. Didnt do it before lift. I still think its the leafs springs but not sure how or why....so my next move is to buy a new set of leafs......

Anyone want a truck before it falls down the bank?

Last edited by Clayton1985; 07-22-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

i know you said "rattle" but try this, there are rubber gromets on your tailgate or on the bed where the tail gate shuts, put a light coat of grease on them. could be your issue. just a thought.

also, have you checked the heat shield between the exhaust and spare tire? mine was rubbing exhaust from time to time.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 PM

Appreciate the suggestions.

I tried the tailgate, actually I took the tailgate right off. The heat shield for spare isnt the cause either as its removed, I also had it bent up out of my way I kept hitting my head on it!!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Did a portion of your "temp" alignment pin setup possibly fall inside the block? Fuel tank cap/cord? Tail lights loose?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM

Hey Trevor, the original centre bolts fell inside the blocks!!! One side for sure, can't recall if the other side did too....
I strapped my old camera to hitch last night and got a video, can hear it pretty good, ill try and get it posted soon.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Video added

http://youtu.be/NADZuNyhneo
Link to it, I dunno how to embed on this forum.

Its not the parking brake cable/metal bracket on top of rear diff either you see bouncing off diff, I tied if off this morning.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:01 AM

TtT. I need some more ideas, im stumped.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did ya ever get the bolt(s) out of the blocks, if not I'd start there...
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM

I removed rear shocks, had box full of rock (realllll heavy), checked a few other small cables but hasnt made a difference...

Lift is coming out I think....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.