New 2010 F-250 Owner with some General Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Covington, Ohio
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 2010 F-250 Owner with some General Questions

Hey guys, I sold my old '99 powerstroke for the '05 Cummins I have for sale now and I've been wanting to get back in a Ford. I've been looking for a month or two and just put a deposit down on one down in Texas . My wife and son are gonna take a mini vacation and fly down (from Ohio) and drive it home.

It's an 2010 f-250 extended cab long bed, 4x4, XLT and it has 140,xxx miles on her. It'll be almost 1000 miles home so I'll be pushing a few tanks of fuel thru it and ill get a bottle of Howes fuel conditioner from a TX tractor supply store.

Having been away from Ford for 6 years, what should I look at when I put my eyes on it for the first time? What are some common/recommended upgrades?
Can you straight pipe these or at least put a delete on?

EGR deletes, and the tuners (sinister and h&s) are uncommon to me so ill be reading up on them, but I wanted to get your opinions on things.

Thanks in advance and don't hold the dodge thing against me

- Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My opinion these aren't the best kind of trucks to be bought sight unseen. Only under couple of circumstances I would buy a 6.4 sight unseen, one is if its brand new, and since in your case it isn't and it has 140k on the clock I would be sure this truck has all servicing documentation with it, and if it doesn't LOOK THE OTHER WAY. Because at 140k the coolant is supposed to have been flushed twice, and everything else(trans/transfer case/diffs) was supposed to be changed bare minimum at least once depending on oils/fluids your running. Like you I bought my 6.4 without really researching, I mean I researched generally before my purchase because I too bought mines used with 20k miles on it, but if I knew what I know now about this engine I would've at least tested the coolant for proper nitrate levels and if it fell below 300 ppm, I wouldn't even waste my time. Like your probably finding out now is that these trucks are very high maintenance and if the truck is neglected don't be surprised when your stuck on the side of the road. Take care of your truck and it'll take care of you.

All I got to say is Goodluck, and congrats on getting yourself a REAL truck lol
I too came back from the DARK SIDE a few years back, I sold my Duramax and picked me up this beast. Couldn't be happier(:

Just do a little more research about tuners and maintenance and all the answers will either be in this forum or others like THE DIESEL STOP, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it makes you feel any better, I too just made a long-distance purchase. I'm in Kuwait and had been doing research for about a month or so before I decided on the 6.4. I asked a ton of questions because the truck had 196k on it. Sounds like a lot, but for a maintained diesel...not really. I was able to get home and arranged to look at it and drive it and I did. The truck ran great, drove well and looked just as good. Mind you it did have blems, but nothing that would be a deal breaker. I ran an Oasis report AND a Carfax after I looked at it and everything fell in line. The point of all this is to say that it doesn't matter if it has 10 miles or 500k, it's still a mechanical piece of equipment and sometimes they just fail. Granted some fail due to neglect, but some just fail. I can't say I would have bought this truck sight unseen though. I'm happy with it, it runs like a scolded dog and drinks more fuel than BP and Exxon can deliver! Don't second guess your decision, otherwise you'll constantly be worried about when "it will die". I've got my garage all stocked with exhaust, a tuner, new thermostats, oil and fuel filters and will do a system flush when I install the EGR delete. Do that, and you should be set for about 475-500 HP! ....and slightly better fuel mileage to boot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Groveport, Ohio
Posts: 538
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like you'll want to do an oil and fuel filter change on the spot, at least I would. Especially after doing my fuel filter last week and it appearing to be original at 56K and as black as my oil filter was. I instantly noticed a difference and towing the same trailer I've towed 3 previous trips(same place), I noticed a 2mpg improvement, no lie.

You cannot just straight pipe these, you must have a tuner to turn off the DPF and delete it fully, same with EGR. A tuner can just turn the EGR off without block offs or anything, but over time it's advised to truly delete them. Most just don't due to warranty and just turn the EGR off. Granted you're way out of warranty.

Look under the hood for any white coolant around the degas cap, and see if it has had any issues with that. On startup it should be burning clean, not much smoke if any, unless it's tuned/deleted, or something is wrong.

Hope it works out well, for the oil/fuel change you can just bring a few tools, or buy them and do everything in a parking lot. I would get on dieselfiltersonlines.com and buy the Racor filters now, then go to Wally world in TX and get Shell Rotella T6 and make the change to synthetic and do the full change there. Oh get a drain pan too so you're not just dumping oil. Also a new drain plug would probably be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!


 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 5,664
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where is the truck located in Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Covington, Ohio
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHKA View Post
My opinion these aren't the best kind of trucks to be bought sight unseen. Only under couple of circumstances I would buy a 6.4 sight unseen, one is if its brand new, and since in your case it isn't and it has 140k on the clock I would be sure this truck has all servicing documentation with it, and if it doesn't LOOK THE OTHER WAY. Because at 140k the coolant is supposed to have been flushed twice, and everything else(trans/transfer case/diffs) was supposed to be changed bare minimum at least once depending on oils/fluids your running. Like you I bought my 6.4 without really researching, I mean I researched generally before my purchase because I too bought mines used with 20k miles on it, but if I knew what I know now about this engine I would've at least tested the coolant for proper nitrate levels and if it fell below 300 ppm, I wouldn't even waste my time. Like your probably finding out now is that these trucks are very high maintenance and if the truck is neglected don't be surprised when your stuck on the side of the road. Take care of your truck and it'll take care of you.

All I got to say is Goodluck, and congrats on getting yourself a REAL truck lol
I too came back from the DARK SIDE a few years back, I sold my Duramax and picked me up this beast. Couldn't be happier(:

Just do a little more research about tuners and maintenance and all the answers will either be in this forum or others like THE DIESEL STOP, etc.
Thanks for the insight. I would rather NOT buy it sight unseen, but I'd prefer to get a truck from TX or that part of the US due to lack of rust. Plus I like the road trip. If it looks sketchy when i get there, I will walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matted2thefloor View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I too just made a long-distance purchase. I'm in Kuwait and had been doing research for about a month or so before I decided on the 6.4. I asked a ton of questions because the truck had 196k on it. Sounds like a lot, but for a maintained diesel...not really. I was able to get home and arranged to look at it and drive it and I did. The truck ran great, drove well and looked just as good. Mind you it did have blems, but nothing that would be a deal breaker. I ran an Oasis report AND a Carfax after I looked at it and everything fell in line. The point of all this is to say that it doesn't matter if it has 10 miles or 500k, it's still a mechanical piece of equipment and sometimes they just fail. Granted some fail due to neglect, but some just fail. I can't say I would have bought this truck sight unseen though. I'm happy with it, it runs like a scolded dog and drinks more fuel than BP and Exxon can deliver! Don't second guess your decision, otherwise you'll constantly be worried about when "it will die". I've got my garage all stocked with exhaust, a tuner, new thermostats, oil and fuel filters and will do a system flush when I install the EGR delete. Do that, and you should be set for about 475-500 HP! ....and slightly better fuel mileage to boot!
I've seen the carfax but since its not a Ford dealer (mom and pops car lot), I wonder if they can do the Oasis report. Can a buyer just pay for it online somewhere or how does it work/what exactly does it show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat6183 View Post
Sounds like you'll want to do an oil and fuel filter change on the spot, at least I would. Especially after doing my fuel filter last week and it appearing to be original at 56K and as black as my oil filter was. I instantly noticed a difference and towing the same trailer I've towed 3 previous trips(same place), I noticed a 2mpg improvement, no lie.

You cannot just straight pipe these, you must have a tuner to turn off the DPF and delete it fully, same with EGR. A tuner can just turn the EGR off without block offs or anything, but over time it's advised to truly delete them. Most just don't due to warranty and just turn the EGR off. Granted you're way out of warranty.

Look under the hood for any white coolant around the degas cap, and see if it has had any issues with that. On startup it should be burning clean, not much smoke if any, unless it's tuned/deleted, or something is wrong.

Hope it works out well, for the oil/fuel change you can just bring a few tools, or buy them and do everything in a parking lot. I would get on dieselfiltersonlines.com and buy the Racor filters now, then go to Wally world in TX and get Shell Rotella T6 and make the change to synthetic and do the full change there. Oh get a drain pan too so you're not just dumping oil. Also a new drain plug would probably be good.
I can change the fuel filter under the hood, and i'm going to look on this site to get more info on the one on the frame rail. I have no problem even changing the oil in a parking lot somewhere. Anything to get better mpg's and prevent problems on the drive back to Ohio.
If its been deleted, all that extra crap is not on the exhaust line, but how do you tell if its been tuned or not? is there an easy way (screw holes where the box was mounted, certain wires somewhere)?
Baldwin Filters are all i ran in my old 7.3L and my Cummins, are you all not a fan of them with the 6.4L's?
Thanks for the advice and comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!


 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Corpus Christi TX
Posts: 5,664
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it is anywhere near corpus I wouldn't mind taking a look at it for you to save you a trip if iit looks neglected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Groveport, Ohio
Posts: 538
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/doc...ange_Guide.pdf

I only used the 36 socket, both my caps were the same size. Well maybe not, maybe it's the oil and 1 of the fuel filters, I forget. Anyways, it's a super quick job, spray some PB Blaster on the water seperator plug though, and hope it doesn't snap before opening, mine did. If it does, just drain the fuel out when you open the filter cap on the lower frame rail. Simple change. Oil pretty basic too .

If it doesnt have the DPF then it has to be tuned to some degree, or it will throw a CEL or possibly not run at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 147
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All you have to do for the Oasis report is take the VIN to a nearby Ford dealer and tell them your story and ask them to show it to you. It shows any warranty repair work done and some service work if it's been within a certain amount of time.

You want to use ONLY Ford or Racor filters and you can get them online at dieselfiltersonline.com I just ordered all the filters for mine from them and shipped to my door cost $68...the dealer wanted $77 for just the fuel filters!

Good luck!

Last edited by matted2thefloor; 07-26-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 208
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I bought my 08 F350 from Houston with 125,000 miles and so far it's been a great truck. It wasn't quite sight-unseen because I have a friend that lives in Houston who was willing to check it out for me, but it was a little scary. There were a bunch of little things that didn't quite match what the dealer told me, but overall it's a great running truck.

Check the coolant before you drive it long, if it's too bad you'll want to get it flushed before you drive it home. Definitely change the oil and filter, and the fuel filters. Drain the water separator too. If it doesn't drain freely it's clogged with gunk and needs to be cleaned out, and you'll need a new $40 gasket kit for it. If you do those things it should be enough to get you home and you can see if there's anything else that needs attention.

If it still has a DPF, keep a watchful eye on that thing. That's the biggest engine killer of all, so don't ignore it.

If it still has an EGR, keep an eye on your coolant level. They're notorious for leaking coolant into your intake, which isn't good.

If you get a check engine light, stop. Pay attention to those. The biggest killer of 6.4's is improper or irregular maintenance, and if you ignore what the truck is telling you you'll regret it later. It might be a good idea to take a OBD scanner with you if the truck doesn't already have something installed in it that will read codes.

I hope the truck works out for you! I was in a similar situation to you, and I love my truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors