Formal Introduction - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Formal Introduction

I am relatively new to the forum, and have made a few posts here and there, but I just got my 6.4 last night, so I thought that would stop by and introduce myself. I was going to put this into the general introduction section, but figured that I would be spending a lot more time here, so I thought I would post it here instead.

Okay, so this is what I got: 2009 F250 6.4L with the 3:55 gear ratio. It has 108k miles on it. It is completely stock and with my best driving behavior, I was able to get 13.5 mpg out of it towing a small trailer (calculated the old fashioned way).

These are my plans for it so far:

#1 - Get all of the fluids & filters changed in the vehicle, just so that I know where I stand with everything. I know that I should probably do this myself, but I am brand new to the diesel world and am in a bit of a time crunch for the next few weeks, so, if I let the dealership do it they said that I am looking at about $1200 for everything from oil to transfer case & everything in between.

#2 - EGR delete, DPF delete & a tuner. From what I have read this all needs to be accomplished at once, & I will probably go with the Sinister EGR Delete , 5" pipe for the DPF delete & a SCT X3 Programmer for the tuner. I am still a bit unsure about what I am supposed to do about the custom tune program, but hopefully I will figure that out soon enough (maybe with some help with you guys!). Anyway, I am thinking that I can get all of the stuff that I need to do the work for less than $1500, does that sound right to you?

So it looks like I will be shelling out another $2500 - $3000 to get it *hopefully* running how I want. If I have left anything out, please let me know!

Attached Thumbnails
Formal Introduction-20130718_172847.jpg   Formal Introduction-20130718_172829.jpg   Formal Introduction-20130718_172800.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Welcome to the Org bud...

your plans sounds good except that it may cost a lil more than you think for the parts... since the EPA cracked down on almost all the manufacturers making delete tunes late last year they have become harder to find... you can find used units for around 700+range... and new in the 1500+ range just for the tuner....
Old 07-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
Welcome to the Org bud...

your plans sounds good except that it may cost a lil more than you think for the parts... since the EPA cracked down on almost all the manufacturers making delete tunes late last year they have become harder to find... you can find used units for around 700+range... and new in the 1500+ range just for the tuner....

Yeah, I've been reading this on the forum, but I'm still not that clear on a few things about it. Maybe you can help with that.

The tuner that I mentioned in my original post, SCT X3 Programmer is going on Ebay for about $375. Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but that tuner is just the hardware device that I need to upload the software (the delete tune). Is that correct?

If my first question is correct, then when someone buys the tune software online, how do they get it? Is it emailed to them then they upload it to the tuner?

Obviously I am a bit clueless on the tuner portion of my plan. Any help would definitely be appreciated!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Can't help with the programmer, but welcome. What part of Ga you in? I'm in Valdosta.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjay View Post
Yeah, I've been reading this on the forum, but I'm still not that clear on a few things about it. Maybe you can help with that.

The tuner that I mentioned in my original post, SCT X3 Programmer is going on Ebay for about $375. Now, please correct me if I am wrong, but that tuner is just the hardware device that I need to upload the software (the delete tune). Is that correct?

If my first question is correct, then when someone buys the tune software online, how do they get it? Is it emailed to them then they upload it to the tuner?

Obviously I am a bit clueless on the tuner portion of my plan. Any help would definitely be appreciated!
you cant just use a regular x3 tuner on the 08+ trucks if you want to delete the dpf.. they made a special "race" version for that...

you would need the SCT x3 that is specically made for dpf deletes which from what i read they no longer make...

either way i would obt for a H&S tuner for your truck over the SCT either way....
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM

Welcome....and I will second the idea of running an H&S. It is more expensive, but worth every penny. You can always recoup on your investment when and if you decide to sell the tuner.....I don't think they are going to come down on price any time soon. In fact, they will become like gold as time goes on.

Good Luck,
Karl (Turbo Kidd)
Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
you cant just use a regular x3 tuner on the 08+ trucks if you want to delete the dpf.. they made a special "race" version for that...

you would need the SCT x3 that is specically made for dpf deletes which from what i read they no longer make...

either way i would obt for a H&S tuner for your truck over the SCT either way....

Thanks for the help!

I looked then up on eBay and the HS XRT Pro is going for about $1000. I looked up the specs on it and it looks to be the one that will work with the dpf.

So are you saying that I also need to buy a custom tune? Or is turning off the dpf enough?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:56 PM

The H&S tuner also needs to be a "race" version to support dpf delete, most new ones are street tuners and do not do dpf delete. so make sure anything you buy is dpf delete capable. You will not need custom tunes of you get the right tuner, you always can later if you choose to.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:03 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
the ORG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.