How do tuners work? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do tuners work?

Can someone explain how Spartan and H&S tuners work?

What do they change about how the engines operate? I ask because my truck will not idle worth a crap, after reaching normal operating temp, if I tune higher than 150hp. 150 and lower and it idles smooth as silk, over that and it acts like a clogged fuel filter on a gasser. I love the performance and fuel economy with the 275EL tune compared to the 150EL. I am really disappointed that I am limited to the lower tunes. From what I have read mine is one of many 6.4's that is doing this.

If I knew what the tuner changes to increase the HP that should make it easier to narrow down where the problem is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
A tuner changes the ECM and commands the computer to put more fuel thru the injectors, increases the pulse width of the fuel injection, (makes fuel be injected for a longer duration). And alot more but either of these could be causing the problems. Have you contacted your tuner and told them your problem? Most tune writers will tweak their tunes to suit your needs.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM-8404 View Post
Can someone explain how Spartan and H&S tuners work?

What do they change about how the engines operate? I ask because my truck will not idle worth a crap, after reaching normal operating temp, if I tune higher than 150hp. 150 and lower and it idles smooth as silk, over that and it acts like a clogged fuel filter on a gasser. I love the performance and fuel economy with the 275EL tune compared to the 150EL. I am really disappointed that I am limited to the lower tunes. From what I have read mine is one of many 6.4's that is doing this.

If I knew what the tuner changes to increase the HP that should make it easier to narrow down where the problem is.
There is a lot changed between tunes. Have you tried the 210? I know that the 275 and up change the FRP at idle from the normal 5000-5100ish to 5700ish.

Have you checked for codes even though there probably isn't a CEL? Also, monitor your FRP to see what it is doing
Old 07-17-2013, 12:46 PM

I tried the 210 tune first when I tuned my truck. My FRP stays in the 5000 range at about 650 rpm idle no matter what the tune is I am using. When it starts "missing" it will fluctuate between 4500-5300.

I am throwing no codes at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoy View Post
There is a lot changed between tunes. Have you tried the 210? I know that the 275 and up change the FRP at idle from the normal 5000-5100ish to 5700ish.

Have you checked for codes even though there probably isn't a CEL? Also, monitor your FRP to see what it is doing
Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Something's wrong, what tuner do you have? is it new to you? Did your truck run perfect before the tuner? Are the tunes custom?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:35 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwngs444 View Post
Something's wrong, what tuner do you have? is it new to you? Did your truck run perfect before the tuner? Are the tunes custom?
Good point, did you buy it used and it was tuned for a different truck?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Spartan that was bought new. I downloaded the EGR delete tunes. I just loaded the 300EL tune and now my FRP is showing 5800ish. I will have to drive it some tomorrow to see if it misses with that tune. I had not tried the 300 tune in the past because my engine is bone stock.

I actually had the tuner on my truck (210hp) about a month before it started acting crazy at idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwngs444 View Post
Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
RollinEarly05...now

If the tune worked fine in the past... It's not the tune but probably a sensor or possibly one of the fuel pumps. Which one.... I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.