DPF Deleted in California Bay Area - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF Deleted in California Bay Area

So I have finally decided to tune and delete my 2008 F-250 but today I found out that most major online stores, (i.e. Rudy's & others) will not ship into California. Go figure, right. So I called some local shops and they started telling me about all the random emission tests that CHP has been doing in the last three months or so. The gentleman that I spoke to said he just finished returning a truck back to stock because the owner was ticketed and had his truck impounded for removing the emissions. It was a $6000 bill from what I was told. So for all of you that are deleted in the bay area have you seen or actually know someone who has been through one of these check points? Also where would be a good place to buy the tuner now? I was wanting to go through a reputable company but now I guess I am left with ebay or amazon.

I know I want to delete it but was wondering what some other California drivers think on the subject.

Thank for all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You have to love the EPA and our so-called government. I’m not discrediting the information you received and passed on; however, I do have some doubts about it. With that said, I just DO NOT understand how and why the EPA, government and local law enforcement agencies have put so much money and effort into policing diesels. They never pull over cars to check their emission equipment, and there are way more gassers on the road in this country. This county has its priorities all wrong. Maybe, the next president will get this country focused on the real issues instead of pulling over diesels….
Old 07-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Emergency Services

This isn't the first time I have heard of the happening. My best advice...not joking either...get the hell out of California. That is my plan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree with what your saying. I called around yesterday to some friends that are local to me and they haven't seen or heard of any check points recently. I have yet to talk with anyone who personally has been through a smog check point that CHP has set-up along a freeway. Mostly these stories are hear say, not to say they do or don't exist. I think that if your smart about driving a tuned truck the police wont bother you. Rolling coal on a downtown road is only asking to be ticketed and inspected. I plan on deleting my truck and driving smart; don't get me wrong I will like getting on it and seeing what my truck can do but like everything in life, timing is everything.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 AM

I too have never heard of or seen a diesel check point where they are specifically looking for deleted trucks. It doesn't make sense for agencies to do this as the number of deleted vehicles is minuet compared to all the vehicles on the roadway. Plus, in Nevada the only law I know of regarding emissions and tampering with them is a $170.00 misdemeanor traffic citation, not even close to $6,000!!!

I know California agencies can impound vehicles but I'm not sure if that violation is one of them. Seems like scare tactics to me. Just drive sensibly and responsibly and you shouldn't have an issue.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Honestly this would be your best bet just in case and plus it's easy to put back to stock looking.

Block off the EGR completely and bypass it:
Bypassing egr cooler coolant flow...

Gut the DPF:
Gutting DPF Question

Just look for a cheap DPF and I but you will be able to find one for not too much more than a delete pipe.

In my opinion that's the best option for anyone who has to get smogged in CA. Luckily I have an F450 which is smog exempt!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

h1gg1n5 I plan on finding a used DPF and gutting it out and running my 4" flo-pro pipe through it. I have been looking for only a day and have yet to find a used one in Cali though. If you know one that is available please let me know. Ya, the tip wont look stock but if a cop ever did look under the truck he would see the remnants of a dpf still there. I would paint it with some good high temp paint to hide where I cut and welded the new pipe in.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 AM

If your not rolling coal I doubt you have anything to worry about....until actual inspection that is.

But if you do roll coal, some states have regulations on standing exhaust. I think it must dissipate after 5-7 seconds or so. Not sure. Something like that.

I myself have called the DPS on punk kids that are driving their diesels while rolling coal to the point of completely stopping traffic. I understand in having fun but some of that is so unsafe to numerous drivers on the road. These types of people also give every decent diesel own a bad name.

TxDPS - Report Smoking Vehicles

I will be purchasing and gutting the cat and DPF from a junkyard. Pulling and welding the EGRs so all looks completely stock if I don't bother spending the grand for the bullet proof ones.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone have insight as to how much the spartan tunes smoke? It it clean under moderate acceleration and rolls coal under heavy acceleration? I know it depends on which tune you are running; but generally speaking how clean are they?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I live in the Sacramento Area (not too far from the bay area) and have never heard of or seen any of these check points.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.