EGR and SCT Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR and SCT Question

Okay, so today I replaced my WIF sensor and cleaned out the HFCM which was filled with sludge. Fortunately, I think that while performing this repair, I found where my small amount of coolant is leaking from. It looks like the hose that connects the vertical and horizontal coolers was leaking slightly at the hose. This isn't that big of a deal to fix, but after reading all of the failures with these units, I was thinking of installing the block off plates that are available. This leads me to my question.

I have a SCT Livewire tuner: if I was to install the block off plates, is there a way in the off the shelf tunes to turn off the EGR to prevent from getting any CEL lights? I haven't messed with tuner since I bought the truck and it looks like the previous owner was running the Performance tune--which seems to be doing quite well.

Also, I notice that there is an update for the tuner and I was wondering if I would have any issue with returning the truck to stock condition, update the tunes and the firmware for the tuner, and then reinstall the same map? I have read that if you didn't have the latest flash from Ford, that there might be some issues with this?

Anyways, if someone could help point me to the right block off plates, as well as the answer to my question, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Nexus 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm pretty sure you need a custom tune in order to shut the EGR valve off. BTW how did you get the WIF sensor out, I tried pulling it with channel locks, but didn't want to break it, pretty sure my sensor went bad.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

My WIF sensor was a pain to get out. If I remember right it screws in about half a turn then locks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go get the flash from ford it should be free and I do believe you will need custom tunes but im not to sure about sct. If I was you I would get custom tunes no matter what. Your truck will run so much better. Look at gearhead or innovation tunes
Old 09-24-2013, 12:59 PM

I have been dealing with the same leak for a long time. Actually, I have two hose clamps on the EGR system that continually loosen up and all some leakage. One of these days I'll get around to taking them off. I was looking at the Sinister Diesel kits, but not really sure what the wastegate is for or if it is needed. I have and SCT TSX and my canned tunes ask if EGR is deleted or not.

Do you guys know if they fail on the truck, does it screw anything else up? Or if they fail, can I then just delete at that point?

Thanks,
Old 09-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

EGR coolers fail on stock and tuned trucks. And if they fail, usually you find out when your motor is full of water.

Blockoff plates aren't going to help. You need a full egr delete. PTP has a good priced kit with an elbow to also delete the restrictive factory elbow. Also you will need custom tunes for a full egr delete
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

since we're on the topic, with a full egr delete and blockoff plate on the exhaust supply off the up pipes to the horizontal EGR cooler....how does that effect the actual pipe? I mean it just kinda hangs there, to me that would cause issues, so wouldn't it be more beneficial to block the plate off before the oxidation catalyst on that pipe and re weld a bung for the Exhaust pressure sensor? Essentially at that point you could get another up pipe made without that pipe running to the egr cooler and be done with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.